Was this funny?

Yes
Total votes: 8 (36%)
No
Total votes: 14 (64%)
Total votes: 22

Re: Dave Chappelle: The Closer

Haven't see the special; I might, but there's something like a googolplex of horror movies I need to get through first. If memory serves I voted meh on Chappelle in general on the old forum. Remember that one Simpsons episode where a Terminator-styled robot starts giving Krusty notes about his show: what about Dave Chappelle? That was a couple of years prior to Chappelle's Show, then all of a sudden he got funny. Weird. Nevertheless, this most recent row has got me to thinking about how Chappelle would react to a white comedian telling the Aristocrats joke, but substituting the nameless family with the names of victims who have been murdered by cops: George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Rekia Boyd, Elijah McClain, & Aiyana Jones (or take your pick of any black folk murdered by the police, from which there's quite a pool to make a selection). I don't think Chappelle would appreciate it. I think Chappelle gets it. People in the transgender community are being murdered, raped, maimed, and discriminated against at an unnerving rate, with the majority of them being black. Does Chappelle address this at all in his special while he's defending his wont to mock them? Has he expressed any desire for unity with the community, or are they there just to be the brunt of his humor?

refraining from voting
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

rsmurphy wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:28 am Remember that one Simpsons episode where a Terminator-styled robot starts giving Krusty notes about his show: what about Dave Chappelle? That was a couple of years prior to Chappelle's Show, then all of a sudden he got funny. Weird.
Yeah, he was seen as some filler comic who'll take crappy movie roles until he and Neal Brennan created the Chappelle Show. Fast forward 10+ years later and Brennan makes a pretty innovative standup special while Chappelle came out of retirement to make 'chicks with dicks' jokes. "GOAT" my ass..
Music

this just in; Dave Chappelle is a comedian. He's on the fucking wind up. That's his job. He thinks the whole trans people situation is ripe for pisstaking and that they take themselves too seriously. He seems like he tries to understand them but, as a professional comedian with an outrageous sense of humour, he literally cannot help himself from poking fun at them.

Rocky Rockbottom wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:09 am this just in; Dave Chappelle is a comedian. He's on the fucking wind up. That's his job. He thinks the whole "ghetto" poverty-class/working-class black people situation is ripe for pisstaking and that they take themselves too seriously. He seems like he tries to understand them but, as a professional comedian with an outrageous sense of humour, he literally cannot help himself from poking fun at them.
2004'ed YP.