Who wielded the Hammer of the Gods better?

Soundgarden
Total votes: 34 (89%)
Tool
Total votes: 4 (11%)
Total votes: 38

Re: 90’s-Heir-to-the-Zep-Throne-Dome: Soundgarden v.s Tool

For me, Soundgarden and Tool are apples and oranges, two completely different vibes. Tool is more to my taste (I like prog and I like Rush) but Soundgarden has more of Zeppelin's blues jam in E hey little mama take a look at my great big wanger DNA. Soundgarden easily transitioned into mainstream hitmakers, Tool never had any interest in trying. I've seen both bands in concert and Tool definitely flattens Soundgarden live but there's a lot more women in Soundgarden's audience.

So yeah, Soundgarden = Led Zeppelin and Tool = Rush. I'm good with that.
https://thegemshow.bandcamp.com/album/a-mountain-2
https://spitegeist.bandcamp.com/
https://wandajunes.bandcamp.com/

SG are underrated in this board and made some great music in their time. They made interesting, fairly creative and catchy doomy rock that I find superior to their more underground peers with a better rep.

Tool is the definition of "overrated". They're bland, monochromatic, pompous and not creative in the least. They're also a horrendous influence on other bands.
Most of what I've played on
Most of what I've worked on

Kim and Hiro of Soundgarden grew up a town over from me. Kim''s step-mom was the 3rd grade teacher at my elementary school. Her class had SG posters on the wall and gave kids guitar picks. When I was in middle school my mom helped run the elementary school "fun fair" in 91. Of course I had to schlep over to the school at 6am on my bike to help. As I arrive I see the truck with all the food, and Miss Thayil was in charge. There was Kim and Chris of SG carrying boxes of frozen hot dogs out of the truck, they just looked like some grungy sons, no one took notice. But anyway, the two key songwriters of SG in no way needed to be up in the morning helping my former elementary school, but there they were just helping Kim's mom out. So those dudes have always been golden to me.

Musically I was sort of ho-hum on SG as a teen and 20 something, but I really dig Louder Than Love and Badmoterfinger (and about half of SuperUnknown) nowadays. Kim is an underrated guitarist, he has a ton of cool weird heavy riffs. Cameron is maybe one of the best musical drummers of the Grunge type bands, I like him better than Grohl (well, maybe not when he's in Pearl Jam).

That Cornell solo song on the Singles soundtrack sounds really Zep like to me.

Also Soundgarden had that great AP interview where they made fun of Billy Corgan, so more points there.
Last edited by Owen on Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guitar in - weaklungband.bandcamp.com/

Owen wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:24 pm Kim and Hiro of Soundgarden grew up a town over from me. Kim''s step-mom was the 3rd grade teacher at my elementary school. Her class had SG posters on the wall and gave kids guitar picks. When I was in middle school my mom helped run the elementary school "fun fair" in 91. Of course I had to schlep over to the school at 6am on my bike to help. As I arrive I see the truck with all the food, and Miss Thayil was in charge. There was Kim and Chris of SG carrying boxes of frozen hot dogs out of the truck, they just looked like some grungy sons, no one took notice. But anyway, the two key songwriters of SG in no way needed to be up in the morning helping my former elementary school, but there why were just helping his mom out. So those dudes have always been golden to me.
Awww.

motorbike guy wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:09 am
I don't know where i heard/read it but Chris C played a lot more of the guitar parts than I had originally thought.

Soundgarden is, at times, fucking great.

Tool i have no time for them.
Cornell played at least 50% of the guitar when I saw them live and as I understand it, this is representative of how they wrote.
+ a vocal range that smokes 30 years of pop signers.

Tool has 3 very talented members, but all their albums sound the fucking same.
I can usually get past a pompous frontman if they're zealous enough, but I don't think Maynard even buys his own act. So very boring,
DIY and die anyway.

motorbike guy wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:09 am
Christopher wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:08 am When there's not a wailing, wounded banshee covering it up, Kim Thayil can throw down.
I don't know where i heard/read it but Chris C played a lot more of the guitar parts than I had originally thought.

Soundgarden is, at times, fucking great.

Tool i have no time for them.
I've also heard that he wrote most of their riffs.
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.