Re: GEAR HUNT

Anyone have any snakes they aren't using and want to get rid of?

Requirements:
Length: at least 3 meters/10 ft
16 channels total but any combo would be fine.
8 channels TRS male to XLR male
8 channels TRS female to XLR female

Slowly working way back into analog recording & I'd like to move from the old snake I was using that was unbalanced and a little dodgy to balanced signals both in/out of the mixer.

New prices vary wildly on price from shockingly cheap to shockingly expensive and very little in the middle.

twelvepoint wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:58 pm
Teacher's Pet wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:38 am I was curious to try experimenting with a DIY outboard spring reverb project -- does anybody have a spare reverb tank sitting around that they'd like to part with?
I have one called "CASCADE REVERBERATION DEVICE" that looks ok and you're welcome to. I also have a long and short Accutronics tanks but one is missing a spring and the connectors need some attention. Lemme know what you want, you can have them for the cost of shipping.
Many thanks to fm twelvepoint for coming through with the spring reverbs, I finally got some time this weekend to fiddle with them.
I got best results using a crappy Behringer headphone amp to drive the tank (using effects send from rinykdink mixer) and then boosting the tank output with a Presonus Blue Tube mic preamp. That's just what I had available, and it worked pretty well. I also managed to amaze myself by fixing one of the tanks - the leads between spring & connectors needed to be replaced. That was some rather dainty soldering for a clumsy craftsman such as myself. Damn satisfying, it was.

W.L.Weller wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:40 pm
dontfeartheringo wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:22 am Anybody else posted this, the response would be "Yeah, right, wiseass."

Nate Dort posts it, it's real talk. I love this place.
Me too, even just lurking for years and years taught me so much. And the handful of IRL interactions I've had with posters have only reinforced/affirmed the love.
I can't let this go without seconding this sentiment. Last Thursday I used the crazyass Digitech Synth Wah that fm W.L.Weller gifted me after I expressed an interest in envelope filters. And the aforementioned Presonus preamp was (I think?) sold to me cheaply by an fm whose name I can't recall and then later fixed for me by fm Nate Dort.

I hope to update the 'experimental noise' or 'upcoming projects' threads with more details and photos soon -- I just wanted to say thank you to everybody who contributes here. Gear, knowledge, humor, everything. It's really the best.

Teacher's Pet wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:15 pm
Teacher's Pet wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:38 am I was curious to try experimenting with a DIY outboard spring reverb project -- does anybody have a spare reverb tank sitting around that they'd like to part with?
I have one called "CASCADE REVERBERATION DEVICE" that looks ok and you're welcome to. I also have a long and short Accutronics tanks but one is missing a spring and the connectors need some attention. Lemme know what you want, you can have them for the cost of shipping.
Many thanks to fm twelvepoint for coming through with the spring reverbs, I finally got some time this weekend to fiddle with them.
I got best results using a crappy Behringer headphone amp to drive the tank (using effects send from rinykdink mixer) and then boosting the tank output with a Presonus Blue Tube mic preamp. That's just what I had available, and it worked pretty well. I also managed to amaze myself by fixing one of the tanks - the leads between spring & connectors needed to be replaced. That was some rather dainty soldering for a clumsy craftsman such as myself. Damn satisfying, it was.

W.L.Weller wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:40 pm
dontfeartheringo wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:22 am Anybody else posted this, the response would be "Yeah, right, wiseass."

Nate Dort posts it, it's real talk. I love this place.
Me too, even just lurking for years and years taught me so much. And the handful of IRL interactions I've had with posters have only reinforced/affirmed the love.
I can't let this go without seconding this sentiment. Last Thursday I used the crazyass Digitech Synth Wah that fm W.L.Weller gifted me after I expressed an interest in envelope filters. And the aforementioned Presonus preamp was (I think?) sold to me cheaply by an fm whose name I can't recall and then later fixed for me by fm Nate Dort.

I hope to update the 'experimental noise' or 'upcoming projects' threads with more details and photos soon -- I just wanted to say thank you to everybody who contributes here. Gear, knowledge, humor, everything. It's really the best.
Adding to that, if anyone is ever in San Diego for whatever reason and needs to kill time don't hesitate to reach out

Teacher's Pet wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:15 pm
Oh wow, I had a lot going on this fall and forgot about this. So glad these are useful and not just a waste of your time!
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com