Foo Fighters Sonic Highways

Crap
Total votes: 4 (57%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 3 (43%)
Total votes: 7

Re: Documentary: Foo Fighters Sonic Highways

eddymerckx wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:33 pm I don't know anything at all about recording, but I was slightly annoyed they interview legends of the industry and then fly in Butch Vig. Is it fair for me to be annoyed about this is or is there a technical recording reason why he should be there? Why can't I hear a Foo Fighters song with Don Zientara at the knobs? They interview people and frame them as being responsible for legendary sounds, and then out of the blue.. HELLO I AM BUTCH VIG.
Butch was the producer/engineer for the album and it makes sense to have him do all the recording for continuity, using the setting and people in each location as a kind of seasoning for the meal. I'll agree it would have been cool to hear a DisChord 1980 version of a song but the setup as run makes perfect sense, since they were making an album rather than a novelty piece.

Re: Documentary: Foo Fighters Sonic Highways

steve wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:38 pm Butch was the producer/engineer for the album and it makes sense to have him do all the recording for continuity, using the setting and people in each location as a kind of seasoning for the meal. I'll agree it would have been cool to hear a DisChord 1980 version of a song but the setup as run makes perfect sense, since they were making an album rather than a novelty piece.
Thanks Steve! I hadn't thought about it that way.
I'm still struggling with being sold the concept of a deeply spiritual creative experience whereby the effect of certain people in a certain space outside of the band are highlighted, taking a viewer through the creative process, and letting the space influence the creative but not the people. I understand though that they were working on both a record and a tv-show, and had to make both feasible for marketing to a larger audience. So yes.. I guess they would have ended up with a novelty piece.