Is Crate the worst of the worst?

Crap
Total votes: 4 (44%)
Just MOSTLY crap...except for...
Total votes: 5 (56%)
Total votes: 9

Re: Crate Amplifiers

Krev wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:59 pm If you want an old solid state in this class, I'd say Randall > Peavey > Crate.
This is true. I had a good friend who owned a Randall 1x12" combo finished in snakeskin pleather that looked like something from David Coverdale's wardrobe. It was actually a pretty decent sounding 80s SS amp.

I got this monstrosity as my first "real" amp in eighth grade:
By sophomore year of high-school that square-wave perfecting piece of shit had been replaced by a silverface Pro-Reverb and a '61 Gibson Scout.

Re: Crate Amplifiers

Kniferide wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:17 pm This was my first amp. It was pretty bad, but loud, and had reverb.
Ha. This was my first amp, too. It was indeed crap, and noisy as hell. I tried plugging things into the service on the back... bad choice. Pretty sure I gave a Zoom 1010 irreparable brain damage.
Geiginni wrote: I got this monstrosity as my first "real" amp in eighth grade:
... and this was an amp I used in our practice space with my longest-lived high school band because the bass player had it. It got replaced in my sophomore year of HS with a Fender Blues Deville, which was also kind of crap but still a significant upgrade.

Crap, WF Powerblock and being amps that 13-year-olds can destroy with little of value lost to the amplifier world.