Is Crate the worst of the worst?

Crap
Total votes: 4 (44%)
Just MOSTLY crap...except for...
Total votes: 5 (56%)
Total votes: 9

Re: Crate Amplifiers

Krev wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:53 am Crap, WF being better than the execrable Gorilla I had before. My Crate had an extension cab out, which meant it could be integrated into a shitty half-stack.
back in the 90's in Arkansas there was a music store in town that only sold Crate amps. They sold those cheep solid state Crate Full Stacks for like $800 and every terrible local hesher and gospel shredder had one. I would literally watch 3 bands in a row set and strike the same full stack Crate amp at the local County Fair. Tube screamer > Chorus > Full Crate Stack is the sound of 90's Arkansas to me. The hilarious thing is Fender and Ampeg tube amps are cheap as free in every pawnshop in the state. All the Punk/noise/garbage bands had sweet gear.
Was Japmn.

New OST project: https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/flight-ost
https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/numberwitch
https://boneandbell.com/site/music.html

Kniferide wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:44 pm
Krev wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:53 am Crap, WF being better than the execrable Gorilla I had before. My Crate had an extension cab out, which meant it could be integrated into a shitty half-stack.
back in the 90's in Arkansas there was a music store in town that only sold Crate amps. They sold those cheep solid state Crate Full Stacks for like $800 and every terrible local hesher and gospel shredder had one. I would literally watch 3 bands in a row set and strike the same full stack Crate amp at the local County Fair. Tube screamer > Chorus > Full Crate Stack is the sound of 90's Arkansas to me. The hilarious thing is Fender and Ampeg tube amps are cheap as free in every pawnshop in the state. All the Punk/noise/garbage bands had sweet gear.
Those gospel shredders connected with ol' Jebus via conse-Crate-d amplifiers.
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.

biscuitdough wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:58 pm GX130C and that whole series sound pretty good for heavier stuff if you don't turn the gain up past like a third. They have crappy little plastic shaft pots and board mounted jacks, but so do a lot of Peaveys everyone loves, including my beloved Special 112s.
I think those are basically the same as the Ampeg VH140C.
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.

Krev wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:45 pm
biscuitdough wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:58 pm GX130C and that whole series sound pretty good for heavier stuff if you don't turn the gain up past like a third. They have crappy little plastic shaft pots and board mounted jacks, but so do a lot of Peaveys everyone loves, including my beloved Special 112s.
I think those are basically the same as the Ampeg VH140C.
I think there are one or two minor differences that thegearpage and sevenstring forumites have debated to death, but yeah, for all intents and purposes.

I share a practice space with one of these, but I don't know the owner that well and haven't heard it in action yet:

https://www.snkpedals.com/product/first ... -amplifier

I used Crate amps almost exclusively for a long time. Started with a GX-60, then GX-120 halfstack. I couldn't tell you what they sounded like 'cause I haven't heard one in 20 years, but they did the trick when I was in high school. I also liked the 90's logo, as my last name is Crane and I wanted to make an amp say that in the same font. Never got around to it. A friend let me borrow a Blue Voodoo BV-120H (the blue tolex/gold logo one) which was probably the first time I played a tube amp outside a music store. It gave me a gear-boner and I bought a refurbished BV-300H, which was a fucking monster and could do anything except play quietly. I loved that amp, but it was too big, too heavy, and the channel switching was all like, momentary switch midi type controlled and would occasionally get stuck if you held the button down too long and would just squeal. After that I got the V-series V3112 and it's (more?) fashionable brother the V32 Palomino. They were the same, but handy to have two around for second guitarist to just show up. They have a great bitey crunch that I like, clean tone and built in spring reverb are underwhelming though. I sold the palomino but still have the V3112 'cause I think it looks cooler. I also have it's baby brother the V58, 5 watt w/ 8in speaker and a total of 3 knobs. It's fun and tiny, but I can't say I can find a tone I like with it. Some dude made a thread a million miles long about various attempted mods to one of those and I may try some of them at some point. I found another v58 at a thrift store recently for like $70 and got it to give to a friend. That version of the V series was the last before they got bought out by music tribe or whoever and moved production overseas. Haven't played anything post SLM.

Do they suck? I dunno, some do. The made in USA V series and early blue voodoo stuff are worth a try.

Now I mainly use a Silverface Fender Bandmaster Reverb in a 2x10 combo. I recapped it and cascaded/marshall-ified the "normal" channel and tied the reverb and vibrato to both channels. It does everything I want and requires zero pedals (the ideal number of pedals).