Filmmaker David Lynch

Pretentious Crap
Total votes: 5 (12%)
Wild Not Crap
Total votes: 37 (88%)
Total votes: 42

Re: Filmmaker David Lynch

Not Crap.

Eraserhead was and remains a real mindfuck and one of my favorite films. Rewired the idea of movies in my impressionable middle-school brain. I like Blue Velvet almost as much. The Straight Story was a fine exercise in more conventional, narrative filmmaking. Mulholland Drive was something of a return to form, as well . First season of Twin Peaks, the tv show, was great but it took a dive into the toilet.

Inland Empire was a deliberately confounding mess but somehow, I did not mind it and kinda respect it.

Not a fan of Dune, The Elephant Man, Fire Walk w/Me, or Lost Highway, in which the ridiculousness ate the sublime.

But that's a hell of a batting average.

He's up there for numerous reasons, but besides all the aesthetic and technical stuff he seems to have a great rapport with his actors and they've given him some incredibly intense performances. Sheryl Lee, Laura Dern, Naomi Watts, Grace Zabriskie and the list goes on but he even managed to make Jim Belushi tolerable.

I mentioned this on the old board, but one of the only times I've ever been genuinely scared while watching a film was when I went to see Inland Empire. About halfway through, I didn't know what was going to come next - a loud scream, a noise, or a scary image. I was on the edge of my seat until the end. I ultimately didn't enjoy the film, but not for the fear factor.

Not crap, he's a talented guy with a wild imagination.

(Also, I can't hear 'The Locomotion' now without thinking of its usage in Inland Empire.)
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

zircona1 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:50 pm I mentioned this on the old board, but one of the only times I've ever been genuinely scared while watching a film was when I went to see Inland Empire. About halfway through, I didn't know what was going to come next - a loud scream, a noise, or a scary image. I was on the edge of my seat until the end. I ultimately didn't enjoy the film, but not for the fear factor.
He's probably the best horror filmmaker to have never made an actual horror film.

The Winkie's scene in Mullholland Dr still gets me:

Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

I think that Lynch really excels in individual scenes, and less so as an overall filmmaker. Understandable in the sense that his background is as a painter, and wished to make his paintings ‘come alive’. He is terrific at creating these moments, but less so at extrapolating them into a narrative. That said, I still enjoy watching almost all of his films.

The club silencio scene in mulholland drive, with the a cappella Roy Orbison. Awesome.

David Wallace has a fun essay about Lynch while he was making lost highway. Worth a read if you are a fan of Lynch, even if you dislike DFW’s fiction.

http://www.lynchnet.com/lh/lhpremiere.html

I would like to see a 4 hour cut of Fire Walk With Me. If you watch The Missing Pieces, you get a sense of what it would have been like - more like Twin Peaks The Return. There are so many good scenes that were cut from the film, or edited down to nothing. Things that make no sense in the release cut or setups that go nowhere actually tie together when you see the extra scenes.