Filmmaker David Lynch

Pretentious Crap
Total votes: 5 (12%)
Wild Not Crap
Total votes: 37 (88%)
Total votes: 42

Re: Filmmaker David Lynch

losthighway wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:19 pm
biscuitdough wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:17 am But he’s steadily become a crap filmmaker despite those waffles. With the exception of The Straight Story, which is unremarkable, everything he does and has done for decades is unfinished and has a “fuck it, it’s good enough”
I suppose that's a challenge to making "It means what you want", dream logic films. The traditional tropes of story arc, character development, pacing and resolution aren't always there to drive decision making. I imagine it's more like making an abstract painting where the already challenging reach for "done" is made even more abstract and intuition-driven.
"It was all a dream!" is always a shoddy explanation. If you look at something like Eraserhead, even if the exact natures of the people and forces at work are obscure, they each have their own meticulously crafted nuances. Blue Velvet is similar, but more personal and more beholden to a narrative. His other surreal works lack that. Lynch gives up on having a world or at least a scenario with its own hidden laws and meanings, and starts tossing in random stuff. The glove and the meat tree in The Return are probably the best examples of this.

I may have been too rash to vote Crap, although I'm hard pressed to say he's not crap based just on Eraserhead and a few shots from other movies, so I said he's crap with WF those.

His other surreal works lack that. Lynch gives up on having a world or at least a scenario with its own hidden laws and meanings, and starts tossing in random stuff. The glove and the meat tree in The Return are probably the best examples of this.
So Mark Frost has got this thing about creating an all-American mythology which is free from all the usual influences from European mythology. Twin Peaks is basically Blue Velvet with supernatural elements, and Frost has got this whole intricate mythos going on connecting all the supernatural elements together. That seems to be his big thing. I get the feeling that a lot of the weirdest stuff is actually just a literal visual depiction of weird source material from Frost and trying to find ways to depict the uncanny while avoiding cliches (or, it may be that a certain actor lost his marbles and started calling you a pedophile and had to be replaced by a meat tree).

While Mark Frost was busy weaving the hidden laws and meanings of his American supernatural mythos, Lynch was weaving in the story of his own life in art. I think pretty much everything he's ever done is referenced in The Return somewhere - he even draws a cartoon at one point. That sort of thing might be regarded as self-indulgent, except that it was such a constant subtext I think it should be understood as a major theme. This is David Lynch doing his own career retrospective.

It's unusual because it's not an abstract narrative theme, it is straight-up personal. But it wasn't a purely narcissistic exercise, a lot of it was David Lynch expressing heartfelt gratitude to his dear friends, many of whom were right at the very end of their lives. When we see Harry Dean Stanton playing Red River Valley on the guitar, it's not just his character in the story we see, it's Lynch's portrait of Harry Dean Stanton. The Log Lady's dying words also stand for Catherine Coulson's. An awful lot of Twin Peaks: The Return concerns the real deaths of Lynch's real friends.

On the other hand I also thought he wasn't above giving a little fuck you to Tarantino along the way, either. He was certainly playing through the fourth wall a LOT. Referencing things outside the frame of the story. Maybe that doesn't work for everyone but the sincerity of the tributes to his collaborators and friends was one of the more touching aspects of it for me. It certainly makes for a unique piece of work.

biscuitdough wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:17 am I have nostalgia for them as an early exposure to weirdness in cinema, and still consider his Dune, Blue Velvet, Eraserhead and Elephant Man to be good films. But he’s steadily become a crap filmmaker despite those waffles. With the exception of The Straight Story, which is unremarkable, everything he does and has done for decades is unfinished and has a “fuck it, it’s good enough” vibe, going back to Fire Walk With Me and Wild At Heart.
Funny, because I’m also one of the rare people that actually like Dune and regularly rewatch it. The production design is incredible and there are some fantastic scene chewing performances, I’m talking to you Brad Dorff.

Like a lot of people Mullholland Drive is my favourite.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

Anthony Flack wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:58 pm
His other surreal works lack that. Lynch gives up on having a world or at least a scenario with its own hidden laws and meanings, and starts tossing in random stuff. The glove and the meat tree in The Return are probably the best examples of this.
So Mark Frost has got this thing about creating an all-American mythology which is free from all the usual influences from European mythology. Twin Peaks is basically Blue Velvet with supernatural elements, and Frost has got this whole intricate mythos going on connecting all the supernatural elements together. That seems to be his big thing. I get the feeling that a lot of the weirdest stuff is actually just a literal visual depiction of weird source material from Frost and trying to find ways to depict the uncanny while avoiding cliches (or, it may be that a certain actor lost his marbles and started calling you a pedophile and had to be replaced by a meat tree).

While Mark Frost was busy weaving the hidden laws and meanings of his American supernatural mythos, Lynch was weaving in the story of his own life in art. I think pretty much everything he's ever done is referenced in The Return somewhere - he even draws a cartoon at one point. That sort of thing might be regarded as self-indulgent, except that it was such a constant subtext I think it should be understood as a major theme. This is David Lynch doing his own career retrospective.

It's unusual because it's not an abstract narrative theme, it is straight-up personal. But it wasn't a purely narcissistic exercise, a lot of it was David Lynch expressing heartfelt gratitude to his dear friends, many of whom were right at the very end of their lives. When we see Harry Dean Stanton playing Red River Valley on the guitar, it's not just his character in the story we see, it's Lynch's portrait of Harry Dean Stanton. The Log Lady's dying words also stand for Catherine Coulson's. An awful lot of Twin Peaks: The Return concerns the real deaths of Lynch's real friends.

On the other hand I also thought he wasn't above giving a little fuck you to Tarantino along the way, either. He was certainly playing through the fourth wall a LOT. Referencing things outside the frame of the story. Maybe that doesn't work for everyone but the sincerity of the tributes to his collaborators and friends was one of the more touching aspects of it for me. It certainly makes for a unique piece of work.
This is all really interesting. I am certainly one of those who finds a lot of his stuff off putting, especially since the 90s, regardless of the reason. Definitely jumped the gun with the crap vote, though.

Another example. There's this bit where Laura Dern's character gives a harrowing monologue about being raped, while Lynch's character sits across from her, surrounded by his banks of FBI gadgets. It all relates to the story going on, but on another level it's surely a scene about Dern & Lynch's working relationship - more specifically it looks a lot like the two of them filming Inland Empire together, Dern the actor opposite Lynch the director with his film equipment. And she delivers a scene just as raw as the ones she gave in that, one last terrifying monologue for David.

There's another scene in the same episode where they are outside sharing a cigarette and Lynch's character looks at Dern's character with great admiration for the longest time, and then says something like "we sure did smoke together back in the day, didn't we?"

Idiosyncratic and quirky and funny and sick and honest and twisted and full of love and basically a genius, one of the most important American directors of our generation.

Eraserhead is an astounding and unique debut. The Elephant Man is Lynch with a big budget doing it right. Dune is Lynch on a big budget doing it wrong. Blue Velvet is beautiful and hilarious and horrifying, with Dennis Hopper and Dean Stockwell in iconic roles. Twin Peaks is Lynch bringing a story about incest to prime time TV. Wild At Heart is a fairytale with Nicolas Cage's Elvis persona being point-perfect. Fire Walk With Me is a fantastic prequel to the series and very underrated. Lost Highway is a labyrinth, dark and sexy and violent. The Straight Story is Disney Lynch with an ending that will make you cry. Mulholland Drive is a glamorous mystery and a good avenue into Lynch's world for the uninitiated. Inland Empire is confusing and claustrophobic, his most challenging film since Eraserhead. And the Twin Peaks redux brings all these elements together triumphantly into the best work he's ever done.

A few little personal favorites: The Grandmother (a creepy early short film), the final episode of the original Twin Peaks, the black and white episode of the new Twin Peaks, and Blackout, part of Lynch's 1993 HBO anthology Hotel Room, starring Alicia Witt and Crispin Glover, fabulous and heartbreaking in a "straight" role.

https://thegemshow.bandcamp.com/album/a-mountain-2
https://spitegeist.bandcamp.com/
https://wandajunes.bandcamp.com/

I used to think he was kinda pretentious. When I got older and looked back at his work, especially after seeing a few interviews with him, I realized he's way more simple and funnier than I expected and a lot of what he did, especially his jokes, went way over my head. The whole scene in Mulholland drive with the guy breaking into the office. Holy shit, that is some spectacularly subtle slapstick. I have egg on my face.