Les Paul Guitars?

Slash
Total votes: 5 (21%)
Swami
Total votes: 19 (79%)
Total votes: 24

Re: Les Paul (the guitar)

The company and many artists and enthusiasts suck as has been well stated here. I play a Les Paul (a knock off) exclusively at the moment, though I'd like to have Fender to switch things up here and there.

Pros:
Can sound amazing, godly or profane. Love the deep doomy stuff and the Peter Green stuff. Actually sounds pretty good for almost everything except chimey stuff and fendery single coil stuff. More versatile than most make it out to be.

That medium profile, small fret, shorter scale neck sure does feel great.

They make cool sounding single coil models.

The original Black and Gold finish options both look rad, the former being maybe the only time gold hardware works in any way. Those rare solid color topped examples look great and should be more common. Even the transparent finish models look good if they are one color, like a nice gold/amber or Gretsch orange over non-garish maple.

Cons:
Sometimes those great sounding instruments can be a little too honky or nasal or just not quite right in the eq. Seems to vary depending on wood and pickups.

That thick, heavy, sharp cornered, doubled up slabs of mahogany sure get uncomfortable depending on how you play it. (And I have a lighter one)

The available aesthetic variety sure is conservative. Lots of untapped potential ignored in favor of those ugly pink bursts with over the top figured wood. When they do stray from tradition they go for stupid options like green bursts or aqua barf burst.

The head stocks are suicidal.

Typically hard to get a good and affordable example, often there are ridiculously expensive models that are not good. Even the good knock offs are often pricey.

^ +1 agree. Double cuts are double cuts.
WeStartToDrift wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:23 pm If I had fuck you money I would buy a wine red custom, those are just the prettiest guitars.
My vote as well, those are really beautiful guitars. Cherry burst is runner up. Black third, white 4th. Never cared for the gold tops, odd as that may be.

Prior to this thread I would've said EVH was my first guitar hero, but all this talk of Les Pauls reminded me it was actually Space Ace Frehley.
work: http://oldcolonymastering.com
fun: https://morespaceecho.com

MoreSpaceEcho wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:51 am ^ +1 agree. Double cuts are double cuts.
WeStartToDrift wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:23 pm If I had fuck you money I would buy a wine red custom, those are just the prettiest guitars.
My vote as well, those are really beautiful guitars. Cherry burst is runner up. Black third, white 4th. Never cared for the gold tops, odd as that may be.

Prior to this thread I would've said EVH was my first guitar hero, but all this talk of Les Pauls reminded me it was actually Space Ace Frehley.
Mick Ronson too.