Crap
Total votes: 20 (77%)
Not crap
Total votes: 6 (23%)
Total votes: 26

Re: Punk-adjacent subculture: rockabilly

penningtron wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:06 pm
enframed wrote:
Krev wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:54 am How about shitty rockabilly-adjacent punk like Social Distortion?
Never liked those guys, never saw the appeal.
His solo material is even worse (and hokier). That said I don't know if it was more rockabilly or a shitty attempt at sounding like Johnny Cash.
Agreed. those rocked up Johnny Cash covers make me shiver with second hand embarrassment.
New Shit:
https://lamekites.bandcamp.com/album/less-one
Discogs:
https://www.discogs.com/seller/ryanzepaltas/profile

Re: Punk-adjacent subculture: rockabilly

penningtron wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:06 pm His solo material is even worse (and hokier). That said I don't know if it was more rockabilly or a shitty attempt at sounding like Johnny Cash.
I was going to try and step to defend S.D, but yes, it must be acknowledged that those solo records are not good, and they're not good because he fucked w/ the "O.C punk w/RnR melody" formula.

The thing w/ S.D is that Ness writes about people and situations that speak to damaged, underclass, white trash people (like myself) who crave a little cultural recognition. Chalk it up to class divisions, but you won't get it if you haven't lived it... and Ness gets the unwanted outsider thing where your past mistakes are like a noose that hasn't quite tightened, he gets the thankless grind thing where the job drains you more and more every week, he gets that the walls are closing in and that hope just hurts... and he records what he sees with an open heart. That's why he draws such a fanatical fan base across various tribes.

I'll accept that what I can take as romanticism gets pretty close to a hokey / corny vibe, but if that's what he needs to do to write the best set of rock and roll loser songs since Johnny Thunders, then that's fine by me.