Total votes: 1 (2%)
Bad Moon Rising (1985)
Total votes: 5 (9%)
EVOL (1986)
Total votes: 12 (22%)
Sister (1987)
Total votes: 8 (15%)
Master=Dik (1987) (EP) (No votes)
The Whitey Album (1989) (as Ciccone Youth)
Total votes: 2 (4%)
Daydream Nation (1988)
Total votes: 20 (37%)
Total votes: 54

Re: Favorite 80's Sonic Youth release

Daydream and Dirty was the first thing I heard from them. I remember ordering those cd's like 20 something years ago, I was like "ok, I'll get the two that get the most accolades" back then no internet, couldn't check stuff. Dirty's sharp production grabbed me first, it also had a couple of killers... but soon I realised DD was miles better.

Really never quite got into Evol. I like it, but it's my least fave from the 80's. Always read 'Expressway..." was the shit and that, when I finally heard it I thought it was ... meh. I think is weaker than previous and also later stuff. Noise parts are not as challenging or menacing as those on Confusion or even Bad moon, and the poppie parts are not as accomplished as those on sister and DD.

Methinks.

This was not easy. I think BMR is probably their best, and Sister their early era peak, and they could have quit after that, but if I am being honest Daydream Nation has always been my favorite because of it's sprawling epic rock. It's one of those perfectly sequenced records, from start to finish. It seems to flow faster than it's 70 minutes.
© 2003 el protoolio

For me, it's always been a tight call between EVOL and Daydream Nation. And, as much as I love the whole spooked-out feel of EVOL, I usually end up giving it to DN...my first SY album (a Christmas present from my parents), and a massive eye-opener for me at a time when I'd just "got" John Peel, and a whole world of undiscovered music. I've always had a soft spot for Lee numbers, and both Hey Joni and Eric's Trip are among his absolute best, I reckon.

Oh, almost forgot, Eliminator Jr is probably my favorite album-closer of all time.
"What am I gonna do with 40 subscriptions to Vibe?"

I talk disjointed music-related guff over here. You're welcome.