Re: A Few New Projects

ohay here's last week's WB — a complimentary piece to week 11's track, again featuring the Clydesdale in DADGAD tuning — this time spotlighting the bridge pickup:

one main take - again i set up two mics (the Monoprice LR100 ribbon mic and this time i went with a Shure SM7B as the other mic instead of the Rode) on my Music Man HD130 2x12 combo amp. i also ran a DI straight in (with some processing in Reaper).
*different from last week - there is a simple accompanying guitar track going throughout, panned to the left. this is just the chords held out to give the main melody some context.

similar deal as the previous one:
i set up the track in sections... so one part has just the ribbon mic, another part has just the SM7B dynamic mic, and another part has just the DI.
*on section D — when the bridge/change comes in till the end — i have all three tracks going (one is centered and taking lead, and the other two are hard-panned opposite each other).

i labeled the sections in the upper right corner of the video, but this is how it was broken up:
A.) 00:00 - 00:48
B.) 00:49 - 01:36
C.) 01:37 - 02:00
D.) 02:01 - end (all 3 tracks)

feel free to guess which part (A, B, or C) you think is the DI signal and why.

yours truly,
dad(GAD)
the rutabega | forestlike | jwh

This week I got a lot accomplished...although I'm unsure how obvious that is in pictures. Both receivers are shaped, pilot holes drilled and have started cleanup of some rough edges. This week (before taking a break for The Bismarck tour) I hope to get spacers and control plates done, drill for tuners and get ready for final sand/polish.

Working on instruments in pairs, and having more experience, seems to allow some streamlining of processes. For example I use a 12mm chip breaking mill to hog out material, swapping the 2 receivers as needed to minimize changes in work-holding.

jorsh wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:00 pm ohay here's last week's WB — a complimentary piece to week 11's track, again featuring the Clydesdale in DADGAD tuning — this time spotlighting the bridge pickup:

one main take - again i set up two mics (the Monoprice LR100 ribbon mic and this time i went with a Shure SM7B as the other mic instead of the Rode) on my Music Man HD130 2x12 combo amp. i also ran a DI straight in (with some processing in Reaper).
*different from last week - there is a simple accompanying guitar track going throughout, panned to the left. this is just the chords held out to give the main melody some context.

i set up the track in sections... so one part has just the ribbon mic, another part has just the SM7B dynamic mic, and another part has just the DI.
*on section D — when the bridge/change comes in till the end — i have all three tracks going (one is centered and taking lead, and the other two are hard-panned opposite each other).

i labeled the sections in the upper right corner of the video, but this is how it was broken up:

yours truly,
dad(GAD)
This is a lot harder and I'm listening to laptop speakers. a. Di b. SM7b c. Ribbon?
Was Japmn.

New OST project: https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/flight-ost
https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/numberwitch
https://boneandbell.com/site/music.html

Kniferide wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:23 pm
jorsh wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:00 pm ohay here's last week's WB — a complimentary piece to week 11's track, again featuring the Clydesdale in DADGAD tuning — this time spotlighting the bridge pickup:

yours truly,
dad(GAD)
This is a lot harder and I'm listening to laptop speakers. a. Di b. SM7b c. Ribbon?
this one was a.) ribbon b.) DI c.) SM7B!
the rutabega | forestlike | jwh

Sorry it has been so long- Between tour and such, have not had much of a chance to share progress.

#20/21 are being assembled. Spent the weekend getting things polished, tapped, tidied up. Today I made the control plates and slotted/installed the nuts (not pictured).
Bodies are complete as well- one is laminated teak, the other is pear with a poplar cap (it is what I had on hand). There is a third, made of pear/poplar as a replacement for the first instrument, with better ergonomics/balance.

sorry for the long delay- been working on a couple very different ideas. First is a bass VI that will be headless w/ rear tuner/bridge combo. Neck will be super wide and shallow. Regular old blank is cut and shaped, prior to headstock bris.
Other project is a bolt-on neck that will be done more like the old Dan Armstrong, with a long tenon. Aiming to see just how light I can make this, and spending a lot of time making very precise templates. I found this very cool cutting board at a thrift store. Part of the lightening process will be to thin this down to 1.25"