How "du" you like your 'luth?

Hot as fuck. (No votes)
Cold as fuck.
Total votes: 13 (100%)
Total votes: 13

Re: Duluth: Georgia Vs Minnesota

ErickC wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:51 pm HERGLE BERRGGLLLE YERRR I GOTTA GOOOOHHH UP NORT TO DA CAYBIN AND CLOG ALL 3 LANES WITH MUH TRUCK YARRRR.

Yeah I can't stand those dipshits, either. I don't mind people going mach 3 so long as they stay in the left lane and don't ride my ass in the right lane.
The problem is with all the left lane lollygaggers that force the Mario Andrettis into the right lane to get around their dumbasses. Also, I agree with the cruise control thing. I set it and forget it and will pass/be passed by the same cars multiple times. How can someone drive for hundreds of miles on the interstate applying pressure on the accelerator? Insanity.

I haven't been to Duluth, GA and though I generally have enjoyed every place I've been to in GA, I have to defer to Duluth, MN. My mom and her family are from there so I have been there many times over the years. My parents were married there, my dad regularly ran Grandma's Marathon. By the lake it is very cool, even in the summer, and the view on a clear day is amazing. In the winter & fall it is gray and cold and bleak in a bracing way. During the snowy season it can be very picturesque.

My grandparent's second home was on the hill and there were was a steep little foot path that ran down the middle of their block that you walk, the sometimes a bit treacherous (Minnesotans aren't really accustomed to even slight changes in gradients) 3/4 mile walk to the lake.

The downtown core of the city has gone through the same sort of condo/gentrification that plagues seemingly every US city, in the 80s/90s it was impressively run-down and fucked up, like a port town, which obviously it was/is.

Low are extremely Duluth (and by extension northern MN) to me in such a specific way that I can't really explain it, all of their gentleness & harshness & quirks & brooding & good nature & weirdness all feel rooted in the city. If they were from San Diego or Cleveland they would still be a great band, but they would be different.

Crowds up there at shows used to be very rowdy, I saw a particularly chaotic Shellac gig in the upstairs lobby of the NorShor Theater.

Fitger's is good. Northern Waters Smokehaus in the otherwise abhorrent Canal Park is a must visit. There is an A&W stand on the way in/out of town (technically Superior, WI). Gooseberry Falls is incredible, including the drive through Two Harbors and up the north shore.

The Classical wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:41 am I haven't been to Duluth, GA and though I generally have enjoyed every place I've been to in GA, I have to defer to Duluth, MN. My mom and her family are from there so I have been there many times over the years. My parents were married there, my dad regularly ran Grandma's Marathon. By the lake it is very cool, even in the summer, and the view on a clear day is amazing. In the winter & fall it is gray and cold and bleak in a bracing way. During the snowy season it can be very picturesque.

My grandparent's second home was on the hill and there were was a steep little foot path that ran down the middle of their block that you walk, the sometimes a bit treacherous (Minnesotans aren't really accustomed to even slight changes in gradients) 3/4 mile walk to the lake.

The downtown core of the city has gone through the same sort of condo/gentrification that plagues seemingly every US city, in the 80s/90s it was impressively run-down and fucked up, like a port town, which obviously it was/is.

Low are extremely Duluth (and by extension northern MN) to me in such a specific way that I can't really explain it, all of their gentleness & harshness & quirks & brooding & good nature & weirdness all feel rooted in the city. If they were from San Diego or Cleveland they would still be a great band, but they would be different.

Crowds up there at shows used to be very rowdy, I saw a particularly chaotic Shellac gig in the upstairs lobby of the NorShor Theater.

Fitger's is good. Northern Waters Smokehaus in the otherwise abhorrent Canal Park is a must visit. There is an A&W stand on the way in/out of town (technically Superior, WI). Gooseberry Falls is incredible, including the drive through Two Harbors and up the north shore.
Attachments
dmn.jpg
dmn.jpg (97.11 KiB) Viewed 169 times