Stop Motion/Live Action Nightmare From Phil Tippett: Mad God

Crap (No votes)
Not Crap
Total votes: 5 (100%)
Total votes: 5

Re: Stop Motion/Live Action Nightmare From Phil Tippett: Mad God

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:43 pm More than fair. I would rank Bloodborne as my generation's greatest storytelling. Regardless of medium.

Not for one moment disparaging 30 years of work - like I said, I'm really delighted it exists - but as a cohesive work? Team Miyazaki all the way.

Note: If you're at all interested there should be a link to The Paleblood Hunt here.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k7S ... aU3ucCdBDk

I'd recommend you don't read it, play through the game (including the DLC), and then enjoy, but if you haven't the patience for that....
Video games are none of my business, but I genuinely appreciated your generosity.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

A dark vision often well rendered.

Am not one to seek out hellscapes--if this were a heavy rock record I don't think I'd have the patience for it.

As a film residing somewhere in the horror sphere, Mad God seems to depict near-endless cycles of toil, pain, death, and sometimes rebirth. Entities are mostly brought into the world to suffer, usually graphically, at times for others' sick amusement. At a few points there are hints at emancipation from all of this, but overall the vision seems locked into a pessimistic state in which most of the living are trapped into a lose-lose situation, a pecking order in which few are at the top of the food chain and agony is prolonged, a vicious cycle.

Mad God's narrative is coherent for the most part and not too inert. However, I think it trades in different expressive film styles that don't always gel together and this is its biggest weakness. With the stop-motion work, it seems to start out with a war-torn Boschian/Breugelian hell feel, somewhere between Biblical, medieval, and post-apocalyptic. Then, in some quieter moments, it seems to swerve toward Brothers Quay-like depictions of disrepair. And then, in some of the live action scenes, it gets kind of steampunk/City of Lost Children-esque, or maybe darker Henson (if you will), to say nothing of the 2001-esque amorphous medley of colors/iconography toward the end. So Mad God fluctuates between hell depictions and grotesquerie on the one hand, and fantasy elements on the other. Which may well be the point. But formally and in terms of affect there can be a disconnect there.

At any rate, it's worth seeing at least once. Am glad Tippett saw his vision through to completion. Definitely not a movie to watch with the little ones though.
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .

I want to see this.
ChudFusk wrote:best Tool video
Best thing about the band were the goofy videos.

Regarding the style and the Bloodborne comparison: First, this movie was long in the making. I haven't seen much of it (want to go in blind), but a lot of the styles and themes have seen more rapid saturation with the sheer increase of media production and access of to that media. Something like a 30 year stop motion project will be at a disadvantage to stay on the cutting edge of its hashtags.

Second, Bloodborne is absolutely a highpoint in its style and themes as well as story telling. I really think those From Soft games are fantastic at world building and telling a story through environment interaction. Among them Bloodborne is at the top. I didn't even play it, but I've watched a few playthroughs including my brother's. It really is legit good. I don't play games anymore, but it is great. Starts off as fun gothic horror but takes a wonderful turn into cosmic horror, perhaps the best realized lovecraftian depiction I've seen in media. Seriously.

I'm sure it's a cool game but do you think there is a legitimate comparison between Bloodborne and a film made with frame-by-frame stop motion or other forms of physical art media animation? It's not that using a computer is cheating, it's that at least some parts of the game's imagery will be generated with procedural methods that the human hand would take exponentially more time and effort to produce. The realm of what is possible with equal resources seems too imbalanced to compare the two. Wow I just said "too... to... two" what am I an owl?

ChudFusk wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:22 am I'm sure it's a cool game but do you think there is a legitimate comparison between Bloodborne and a film made with frame-by-frame stop motion or other forms of physical art media animation? It's not that using a computer is cheating, it's that at least some parts of the game's imagery will be generated with procedural methods that the human hand would take exponentially more time and effort to produce. The realm of what is possible with equal resources seems too imbalanced to compare the two. Wow I just said "too... to... two" what am I an owl?
Nothing to do with the story being told.

I should maybe expand on that. If all we're talking about is the man hours and effort and virtuosity then sure, listen to shredders all day.
at war with bellends

Was going to say it was like watching a Tool video with the benefit of not having to listen to Tool. Seems like it's a shared sentiment. This movie is fucking long for what it is. Too long. It was pretty fun watching the kinda shit people get into when they have a bunch of clay, and raspberry jam lying around. I'll never watch it again, but I salut this dude for making such a crazy thing that almost nobody really wanted just cause he wanted it. The surgeon and the nurse part was especially tedious and effective. I would have probably loved it when I was 13 and listening to Obituary records.

A for effort, D for delivery.
Was Japmn.

New OST project: https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/flight-ost
https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/numberwitch
https://boneandbell.com/site/music.html