Better Call Saul

Crap
Total votes: 1 (5%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 21 (95%)
Total votes: 22

Re: Television Show: Better Call Saul

Hard to articulate it well at the moment, but I would hope the writing team has some kind of ace up their sleeve, because a permanent fall from grace seems the most predictable and least creative path to take now, with what remains of Saul/Jimmy/Gene's arc. It seems he is running out of options, behaving haphazardly, but from a narrative standpoint something out of left field would be more interesting than "jail or death." What that would be, though, I'm not sure.
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .

The last few episodes in the Gene time-frame have been kinda disappointing. The actor who originally played jeff seemed much, much more menacing than the new guy, who's been written into being pretty much a huge loser who was never much of a threat to saul. Seems like a bit of a wasted opportunity to stir up some drama in the future time-line.

Not sure what's going down in the final episode but unlike walt in BB, saul doesn't have any business to settle with anyone in ABQ outside of legal troubles. I wouldn't mind seeing a courtroom episode where saul attempts to get away with whatever the authorities have on him or plead his crimes down to lesser charges. I get that gene isn't an exciting guy by necessity but, as a viewer who wants to be engaged/entertained, his life is boring and I'm not that into watching him.

Here's hoping for a decent last episode.

Yeah, between the Jeff recast and the actual arc post-timeskip, this last string of episodes has kind of deflated some of the momentum the previous episodes had been building up to this point. Granted, it's difficult to nip an entire timeline in the bud and then try to rebuild tension in three episodes, but if the payoff doesn't land then it goes to show they should've fleshed out the Gene era a bit more.

Overall, the series has introduced some great characters in Kim Wexler, Chuck McGill, and Lalo Salamanca among others. NC for that alone.

Similar to Breaking Bad, the most intriguing elements of the show were related to the subplots.

Gus vs Hector in Seasons 3 and 4 was great, but of course BB would have been entertaining to watch without it.

Lalo vs Gus woke up BCS, it was the payoff for watching nearly 4 seasons worth of slow moving plot development. The weaknesses of BCS are exposed without Lalo.

Also, I wonder if the recasting of Jeff changed the direction of the writing for the last episodes.

I can't think of another show that is as well done that I enjoy as much and look forward to watching that also frustrates me as much as BCS does. The things about it that I love--Odenkirk and Seehorn's performances, for example--are without par, which make the frustrating things that much more frustrating. For example, like many of you I have been underwhelmed with how the Gene story is playing out. I guess I'm more interested in seeing how Saul navigates the particular purgatory of being a Cinnabon manager than just watching him rehash the his greatest hits as a conman. Honestly, these last few episodes have really laid it on thick, too. Part of the appeal of Saul as a character is his gleeful/self-hating amorality, but they've practically turned him into Snidely Whiplash (stealing from the kind-hearted cancer guy, about ready to strangle the sweet old lady) for whatever reason--maybe so that the audience will root for his eventual comeuppance. But it felt lazy and one-dimensional to me. I guess I should wait to see how it plays out before complaining too much. I will miss the show regardless.

amar wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:37 pmAlso, I wonder if the recasting of Jeff changed the direction of the writing for the last episodes.

According to the Better Call Saul subreddit, the writers/showrunners addressed this and said that they changed nothing with the recast of Jeff.

I don’t doubt them, but it’s hard to imagine the previous actor playing that role in the “Nippy” episode. It fits Pat Healy perfectly.

Clyde wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:58 pm I can't think of another show that is as well done that I enjoy as much and look forward to watching that also frustrates me as much as BCS does. The things about it that I love--Odenkirk and Seehorn's performances, for example--are without par, which make the frustrating things that much more frustrating. For example, like many of you I have been underwhelmed with how the Gene story is playing out. I guess I'm more interested in seeing how Saul navigates the particular purgatory of being a Cinnabon manager than just watching him rehash the his greatest hits as a conman. Honestly, these last few episodes have really laid it on thick, too. Part of the appeal of Saul as a character is his gleeful/self-hating amorality, but they've practically turned him into Snidely Whiplash (stealing from the kind-hearted cancer guy, about ready to strangle the sweet old lady) for whatever reason--maybe so that the audience will root for his eventual comeuppance. But it felt lazy and one-dimensional to me. I guess I should wait to see how it plays out before complaining too much. I will miss the show regardless.
Well, after all my bitching the ending still got me. Won't say anything else for fear of spoilers.