Ovo/Lacto
Total votes: 6 (15%)
Vegan
Total votes: 3 (7%)
Other (specify)
Total votes: 3 (7%)
Total votes: 41

Re: Vegetarianism

losthighway wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:53 am I'm pretty conflicted about my fish consumption. I eat it once or twice a week, typical salmon, cod and shrimp, the occasional sushi feast. Seafood is environmentally complicated as well.
I really enjoy schooling fish like mackerel and herring, which are generally better to have often. Pollack and farmed tilapia don't get enough respect either.

Yeah, folks who are eating multiple servings a week of salmon and tuna (except maybe in-season domestic albacore) aren't doing the world a lot of favors. I'll try to do west coast rockfish and albacore if possible. I also have my shellfish license and will take my limit of mussels and butter clams once a season on the Oregon coast. (wild mussels are quite a bit more exercise to clean than the farmed ones!) Farmed oysters from the coast around Nehalem and Netarts bays (especially Nevor farms) are great too.

Conscientious omnivore otherwise. I get too much enjoyment from perfecting methods of preparation and traditional cuisines to give it up entirely.

penningtron wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:03 pm
jfv wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:23 am I don't eat birds ever any more because... I love birds.
Yeah.. I get to meet someone's pet pig this weekend and while pork is often too grisly for my tastes anyway, I think that will likely be the takeaway..

If I ever meet a cute pet chicken I'm fucked.
I like to think eating the descendants of therapod dinosaurs is cosmic payback for the millions of years their ancestors were chomping down mammals like jelly-beans.

losthighway wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:53 am Like most people who aren't 18 years old I have a very tolerant attitude about the dietary stuff: lots of respect for vegans and most of my friends and family eat red meat.

If I'm vocal about anything it's simply that America will not go vegetarian but if everyone saved red meat for special occasions, even cut their consumption in half it would do wonders for the environment.

I'm pretty conflicted about my fish consumption. I eat it once or twice a week, typical salmon, cod and shrimp, the occasional sushi feast. Seafood is environmentally complicated as well.
I agree with all of this. We eat fish probably 4 times a week and spend time and money eating fish as sustainably as we can. We mostly get our fish from a sustainably wild-caught hook and line CSA. We also eat a lot of sardines. Vegetarian the rest of the time. The gf is an omnivore and only eats meat occasionally when she dines out or we are at a BBQ. She was pescetarian for the greater middle chunk of her life.

If someone asks why I don't eat mammals/birds I will tell them honestly, but try not to be preachy about it. It's 50% health-related but I also very strongly believe that if I can't look something in the eye to kill it, I have no business eating it. I'm 100% okay with fishing myself. I also think the agriculture system in the US is way fucked.
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/

penningtron wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:03 pm
jfv wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:23 am I don't eat birds ever any more because... I love birds.
Yeah.. I get to meet someone's pet pig this weekend and while pork is often too grisly for my tastes anyway, I think that will likely be the takeaway..

If I ever meet a cute pet chicken I'm fucked.
I've had pet birds since I was about 12, and, yeah, two of my neighbors have chicken coops and I've met all of their birds. I'm okay eating their eggs (and damn, they are good), but have no interest in eating the birds.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

Vegetarian, and selected ovo/lacto, but opting for dairy-free/vegan choices when possible.

In agreement with what losthighway said. The part about vegetarian/vegan recipes is something I think about when I see articles about vegetarian lifestyles, recipes, or veganuary-type challenges. The fact that there are millions of, if not nearly a billion, people whose eating habits have been non-beef-based for hundreds or thousands of years, yet who are not mentioned, begins to feel overlooked with a perhaps too Euro-American eye...especially when one sees the same sort of BS lite-news lifestyle story for the nth time.

Being raised in America, I get it. Sometimes I want to eat something that tastes like a hamburger. People can't help their ties to their early food memories.

Keeping it a non-issue among non-vegetarians has been easier since covid, due to no or very minimal group eating situations. If it comes up with a non-vegetarian, I try to play it off. Eat what you want, just make it healthy. Yes, eating fewer animal products would help the earth tremendously. People often feel the need to tell me about their experiences with vegetarianism, which is also interesting. I never ask.

But jfv and penningtron mention the part past eating habits: animals as sentient beings. A pig is as smart as a five year old. Cows seem similar at times to dogs (which can also be as smart as toddlers). Fish, it's being discovered, display as much mental ability as many other animals. That makes it hard to imagine eating them again.
"I got to tell you, if I went to a show and an opening band I never heard of lugged a Super Six on stage, I am paying attention." - Owen