Vegan
Total votes: 3 (7%)
Other (specify)
Total votes: 3 (7%)
Total votes: 41

Re: Vegetarianism

jfv wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:34 am
tommy wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:19 am
jfv wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:46 am The Impossible burger is fantastic, too. I haven't tried their other products, but if they are or will be as good as their burger, I don't think I'll ever be tempted to purchase another meat product again.
I personally think Beyond tastes even better than Impossible. Especially when cooked in a pan. We don't eat it that often, but the burger and breakfast sausage patties really scratch that itch. The frozen Beyond sausage patties are great straight out of the freezer and into a 350 toaster oven for 8 minutes, flipped halfway. I do not recommend microwave.
Perhaps I was having a bad day, but when I tried it, the Beyond burger patty smelled like Alpo dog food.
The factory probably accidentally switched production/packaging lines. ;)
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

Leave it to a vegetarian to create a CRAP/NOT CRAP without a CRAP vote available. Everybody wins!

I could do it, but with 3 kids in the house, it's not happening. My main incentive would be to eat for cheap. Beans and Rice, Stir Fries, etc... I don't get down with the faux foods....if I'm eating a veggie burger, I want to recognize the content rather than to fool myself. With some condiments, and toppings, I often prefer a black bean burger to a beef one. Cutting out eggs and milk? That's a tall order.

Omnivore, but for reasons that are unfortunately more selfish than for the greater good, I've been entertaining the idea of dipping a toe into Pescatarian waters. Trying to shed some excess pounds. At 6'4" I used to be able to carry weight fairly well, but the older I get the more it all sets in the middle. Attempts at weight loss find me losing it everywhere else except the middle, and I figure a strict seafood diet mixed with moderate exercise should do it, but what the fuck do I know? I used to think I could never give up bacon, but I can't think of the last time I ate it. Same with burgers and poultry. Just bored overall with my regular omnivore diet, and concerned about weight and health. Hell, even stopped drinking and thought that would be a non-starter, but nah. I love dairy tho. Animal milk, butter, cheese, like bacon I really can't imagine a life without cheese and butter. This thread has been quite educational in attempting to sort myself out in terms of dairy. Had no idea about rennet being the reason vegetarians don't eat cheese. These types of diets are complex, challenging, and what's weirder still is in attempts to be sustainable they really aren't sustainable for a large segment of the population. I can't imagine financially-unstable Americans, people living in food deserts, people with a lack of knowledge, being able to subsist on a strict vegetarian diet. It seems like one should, but society just isn't wired in a way that allows for the poor to keep themselves healthy. Even if a single parent can afford to feed their family on a vegetarian diet, do they have the time to make nutritionally delicious meals when working two or three jobs? Really fucked when you think critically about it. Are there inexpensive vegetarian options for people living at or below the poverty line? Are there programs to educate them, and if not how can that happen?

Lastly, as an omnivore one should be willing to go all the way and eat the world's most dangerous animal, man. I'm not speaking of homicidal cannibalism, but certainly endo or ritualistic cannibalism. I bet we taste delicious. Anus and scallop resting on a bed of pesto sounds like a delightful amuse-bouche.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

rsmurphy wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:21 pm These types of diets are complex, challenging, and what's weirder still is in attempts to be sustainable they really aren't sustainable for a large segment of the population. I can't imagine financially-unstable Americans, people living in food deserts, people with a lack of knowledge, being able to subsist on a strict vegetarian diet. It seems like one should, but society just isn't wired in a way that allows for the poor to keep themselves healthy. Even if a single parent can afford to feed their family on a vegetarian diet, do they have the time to make nutritionally delicious meals when working two or three jobs? Really fucked when you think critically about it. Are there inexpensive vegetarian options for people living at or below the poverty line? Are there programs to educate them, and if not how can that happen?
All of that. And even if there were programs, with our copious spare time, would enough go? Or attend a Zoom meeting?
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

I don't wish to make vegetarianism or pescetarianism or any other dietary ism sound strictly for the ruling class, but there is a large segment of society where being critical about dietary choices just isn't an option. How can that change? It would take massive change and with the way society has always been massive change has never been a real possibility. Maybe the key is to do what one can, and when/if possible lobby and educate.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

penningtron wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:46 pm Yeah, I'm not crazy about black bean burgers either (black beans as part of a larger quinoa veggie mashup or whatever, sure) but I like beet patties quite a bit. It won't 'fool' you into thinking it's a burger anymore than a falafel resembles a crab cake, but good is good.
I'm not super picky on veggie burgers. As long as they have a ok texture and some sear, that's great, and it's also a vehicle for condiments! As long as it doesn't crumble to bits, I have a pretty broad window of "acceptable." I do like the Beyond Meat burgers. Cooks Illustrated had a great recipe from 05 I think? which had lentils, bulgur wheat, cashews, mushrooms and took forever to make, but it made a ton and you could freeze them.

The holy grail of meat analogy sandwiches for me is a breaded fried chicken sandwich. I imagine that could be done with seitan with nutritional yeast and soy for umami and herbs de provence.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

twelvepoint wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:33 pm The holy grail of meat analogy sandwiches for me is a breaded fried chicken sandwich. I imagine that could be done with seitan with nutritional yeast and soy for umami and herbs de provence.
Yeah, can't say I've tried making it, because it's usually pretty easy to find at places like Chicago Diner or locally to me now this place.

(it's also a bit more junk food-y than I like to eat these days)
Music