Ovo/Lacto
Total votes: 6 (15%)
Vegan
Total votes: 3 (7%)
Other (specify)
Total votes: 3 (7%)
Total votes: 41

Re: Vegetarianism

rsmurphy wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:29 pm Might be a dumb question so apologies in advance, but are there vegan/vegetarian options that have absolutely no desire to resemble a carnivore's diet?
Yeah, not too hard to find on a lot of non-western menus like Middle Eastern, Indian (south Indian a little easier to avoid dairy), and Ethiopian. SE Asian places can offer a lot too but need to be vegetarian specific to omit things like fish or shrimp sauce/paste, etc.
Music

penningtron wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:07 pm
rsmurphy wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:29 pm Might be a dumb question so apologies in advance, but are there vegan/vegetarian options that have absolutely no desire to resemble a carnivore's diet?
Yeah, not too hard to find on a lot of non-western menus like Middle Eastern, Indian (south Indian a little easier to avoid dairy), and Ethiopian. SE Asian places can offer a lot too but need to be vegetarian specific to omit things like fish or shrimp sauce/paste, etc.
Yeah, Indian and Ethiopian are always a good bet. Los Angeles many kinds of really fantastic vegan restaurants.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

rsmurphy wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:29 pm What is a good source for one who wishes to explore vegetarianism/veganism?

For those who care to answer does your lifestyle carry on to alcoholic beverages, clothing, products, etc.?

Might be a dumb question so apologies in advance, but are there vegan/vegetarian options that have absolutely no desire to resemble a carnivore's diet?

Does the lack of a central nervous system make eating plants easier? Apologies in advance and all that.

Why can't they get cheeses right?

thank you.
What is a good source for one who wishes to explore vegetarianism/veganism?

I’d go with your own instincts. Now the internet exists Lifestyle has been monetised so there’s a mass expansion of grifters and cults. Lean into dishes/ cuisines that you like that have low/no meats. Italian is an easy option, and by that I mean Italian food from Italy.

For those who care to answer does your lifestyle carry on to alcoholic beverages, clothing, products, etc.?

I don’t drink (well, rarely) because I don’t like it, not for moral or addiction reasons but it’s way easier than at any time to go to a bar and not drink. Non Alcoholic beer is now very good. Leather, avoid if I can. I think my Docs are vegan, but didn't check, should have…

But there a big class factors at work here. I can afford healthy food, non animal options etc. a lot of people can’t. Being poor is expensive.

Might be a dumb question so apologies in advance, but are there vegan/vegetarian options that have absolutely no desire to resemble a carnivore's diet?

Firstly, omnivore. I doubt anyone is a carnivore. A lot, the fake meat trend goes back a few decades. Have a listen to the Gastropod podcast episodes on Tofu and quest foe decent vegan cheese. That’s a generally great podcast.

Does the lack of a central nervous system make eating plants easier? Apologies in advance and all that.

Oysters and mussels are vegan 😂. On only partially joking here, I have a vegan friend that eats shellfish with no brains. “Vegetive Animal Matter”

Why can't they get cheeses right?

See podcast recommendation. I’m afraid cheese will only be solved with lab grown milk. Personally, I’m looking forward to lab grown animal proteins.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

I use fake meats, and they definitely scratch an itch from my old "meat=real meal" beliefs. I've evolved with this for sure and I can totally have meals without chewy meat analogies and feel satisfied. A vegetable dish can have some developed flavors that are familiar to (and almost taken for granted by) meat eaters, such as browning/deglazing, reducing, braising, or even smoking. I don't think of using those techniques as a meat substitute so much as just good, creative cooking.

If you want hearty vegan, Timothy Pakron's "Mississippi Vegan" stuff is a great place to explore:
https://www.mississippivegan.com/

Also a lot of the Ottolenghi recipes are vegetarian/vegan and build a lot of flavor.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

Thanks all! On that first question I was basically wondering how to start if I were to start, and if there was an easy-to-understand universal guide, but I guess it would be different for everyone. Like, did you stop eating meat completely or did you wean yourself off of it. I'd think that eating non-meat that tastes exactly like meat would be a difficult way to do it...idk.

I've thought more about this than at any other time, do thanks for that.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

rsmurphy wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:18 pm Thanks all! On that first question I was basically wondering how to start if I were to start, and if there was an easy-to-understand universal guide, but I guess it would be different for everyone. Like, did you stop eating meat completely or did you wean yourself off of it. I'd think that eating non-meat that tastes exactly like meat would be a difficult way to do it...idk.

I've thought more about this than at any other time, do thanks for that.
I’d either go cold turkey (I’m here all week) or start by cutting cheap factory farmed meat. Get a McPlant or Vegan Whopper if fastfood’s something that still gives pleasure. If you’re cooking at home go 2/5 days meat/no meat. Instead buy organic or at least meat with certified good husbandry.

It’s a deeply personal, don’t let anyone guilt you with “meat is murder” BS. I’ve been through “normie” omnivore phase to incredibly strict veganism. I’ve settled on a small footprint diet as my default but when I’m in Brazil on my wife’s family farm I’m not saying no to heart attack enduring bbq because I do this once every few years…

To be honest I could stop all meat again tomorrow and not miss it.

You do you.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

rsmurphy wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:18 pm Like, did you stop eating meat completely or did you wean yourself off of it.
When I started seriously considering changing my diet I went on a bit of a meat-binge (band name, you're welcome) to see how much I actually enjoyed eating animal flesh. Not so much it turned out. So I started avoiding red meat, then quickly cut out pork. Poultry was next. Kept seafood on the menu to this day although I try to be conscious of how it's sourced. 'Fake meat' seemed weird to me, like if I really wanted a burger I should just have one. An ex of mine had a similar diet but enjoyed fake meats so I got in the habit of occasionally buying veggie burgers, although I prefer things like black bean patties vs. Impossible Burgers etc. I guess eat what you like is what I'm thinking.
https://genaumke.bandcamp.com/