Reign in Blood
Total votes: 16 (42%)
South of Heaven
Total votes: 11 (29%)
Seasons in the Abyss
Total votes: 6 (16%)
Total votes: 38

Re: Best Slayer Record from the Classic Era

Krev wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:50 pm I don't think Live Undead was actually live.
Yeah, total fake live album. It’s hilarious to me that they chose to make it sound like a room with 30 people, rather than a bigger crowd.

I was in a metal band when I was 14. When we heard Live Undead we decided to try to make our own live album by making a ruckus, bouncing it off of two jam boxes, and adding it to a practice tape. I wish I still had that stupid recording.

It’s Reign on Blood. South and Seasons are still thrilling records…

For me the most important thing about those albums is they could all have been released last week and would still be mind blowing. Completely timeless…
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

South of Heaven for me, maybe the first metal record that I really loved.

2 big reasons it stands above the pack:

1. Absolutely insane drumming from Lombardo (IMO one of the greatest performances ever recorded, manages to bring groove into thrash aggression which is no mean feat).

2. Really eeire, unsettling atmosphere (caused in part by some tempo variation, prime-era Hanneman riffs w/ v. little input from King , Araya's introduction of a calmer, more controlled vocal approach - a sinister detachment to the litany of horrors he's spewing).

It's not perfect ('Cleanse the Soul' is a bit meh and I could leave the Priest cover), but otherwise it's incredibly powerful.

The rest ranked:

2. Hell Awaits (awesome, evil sounding, almost prog-ish songs but gets a bit weaker half way through and is sonically compromised).

3. Reign In Blood (kinda perfect but I never LOVED it, always felt that the opener and closer (which are amazing songs, 2 of the best ever written) outshone the rest of the record by an awkwardly noticable amount).

4. Seasons... (50% brilliant (esp 'Spirit in Black'), 50% mid tempo meh)

5. Haunting... (huge leap forward but still a bit restrained by raw technique)

6. The rest- juvenalia, not without charm or some riffmoments but still way too enthralled to their influences (Venom, Priest, The Fate)