Reign in Blood
Total votes: 16 (42%)
South of Heaven
Total votes: 11 (29%)
Seasons in the Abyss
Total votes: 6 (16%)
Total votes: 38

Re: Best Slayer Record from the Classic Era

Not for nothing just sang "Hell Awaits" word-for-word. When I was a kid I was a bit obsessed with the line "priests of Hades seek the sacred star" thinking it was super occulty and it kind of is. Like, I'm imagining those things on the album cover of Mob Rules but much slender and taller with arcane tools and instruments in hand mapping a night sky.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

speedie wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:20 pm
rsmurphy wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:29 pm Reign in Blood. Don't front. Not a fan of the soloing, though. Are those good solos? I've always thought of them as haphazard and tuneless.
Randy! My Man!
I 100% get why people don't like it, but I think making the solos into explosions of chromatic noise added something to the air of chaos and violence and malevolence that their peers got nowhere near.

Inevitably it works better on some songs than others, but I always think about Hanneman's last solo on 'Angel of Death'; right at the end he makes the guit scream like a terrified woman in pain then finishes with some deathly moaning sounds: it is very, very creepy, even though I've heard it many, many times.

And they developed the techniques over their career: compare the soloing on 'War Ensemble' to the early records, there's def progress w/ technique, some incorporation of melody etc, a lot of thought and work went into that song...

Oh, and in recent developments, I now consider Divine Intervention their last classic record.

There's a REALLY dark and violent energy present, while they push all the tricks that make the Slayer sound up to their technical limits. 'Fictional Reality' gets particularly nasty and then almost Morbid Angel-esque during the solo where the rhythm guit plays a tapping riff as the other wails away... Good stuff.

Much as I rate Lombardo, I don't think they could have done this with him, Bostaph kills here, the right man for the job.

rsmurphy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:53 am
M.H wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:55 am Inevitably it works better on some songs than others, but I always think about Hanneman's last solo on 'Angel of Death'
That's a good solo. It kind of reminds of Ira Kaplan's freakouts. Now, there's a pairing I'd like to hear.
Jesus. What an idea.

I never explored slayer - I avoided most metal as a pre-40ish year old human. I've described that before so I won't here, but I've had South of Heaven on several times the last few weeks and I love it. Will explore more.

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:15 am
Frankie99 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:48 am I never explored slayer - I avoided most metal as a pre-40ish year old human.
The fun you have in store. Just imagine having the whole of metal out there, unexplored. Fantastic.
I’m the total opposite. I never listened to Extreme Metal or even much Trash when I was younger. I’ve started enjoying ever more extreme music as I got older… late 40s now.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.