Re: Crown the King: Thrash metal opening tracks.

MoreSpaceEcho wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:33 amThat first song on Death Angel's debut is a killer too, those guys were by far the most interesting of the JV squad/second wave bands IMO.
Fantastic answer. That opening guitar destroys and the whole album is great. Since "Battery" is the best song in the world some days, that's still my vote.

This thread caught me at a good time as I've been listening to so much thrash that my usual Cool Dad Alert skate shoes suddenly turned into white hi-tops the other day. I would like to submit the following side subjects to the thread:

Best thrash closing track
Best thrash song about war
Best thrash instrumental

Tree wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:50 am
MoreSpaceEcho wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:33 amThat first song on Death Angel's debut is a killer too, those guys were by far the most interesting of the JV squad/second wave bands IMO.
Fantastic answer. That opening guitar destroys and the whole album is great. Since "Battery" is the best song in the world some days, that's still my vote.

This thread caught me at a good time as I've been listening to so much thrash that my usual Cool Dad Alert skate shoes suddenly turned into white hi-tops the other day. I would like to submit the following side subjects to the thread:

Best thrash instrumental
I'd think Megadeth-My Last Words has to be on the best closing track ballot, but Raining Blood is probably going to dominate. As mentioned above, AoD and RB are some pretty ferocious bookends to contend with.

Best thrash instrumental
Call of Ktulu
Holy Wars....The Punishment Due
Orion

Best thrash instrumental
My vote goes to 'Disposable Heroes'.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

WAR: It's gotta be Disposable Heroes. What a song. There's about 20 riffs in it, all of them killer. For as much as we give Lars shit (all deserved), he gets props for the 4 cymbal choke fill in the second verse, that shit rules.

CLOSER: My Last Words. Super catchy verses and then it goes into one of the best helicopter riffs of all time.

INSTRUMENTAL: Much as I love Ktulu and Orion, I'm giving this one to the kids, Death Angel win for The Ultra Violence. More good riffs on that than most bands whole careers.
work: http://oldcolonymastering.com
fun: https://morespaceecho.com