Dual Amp / Two Amp setups

Apologies if this has been covered. I couldn't find anything.

Many of us like to use two amps at the same time as a way to add some complexity, space, and uniqueness to our guitar sounds. Our Fearless Leader here might be one of the most noted for doing this, bending a SS amp and a Tube amp all the time.

Now, I often do this, but I have only foud that it works for me if both amps have the same amount of gain/drive, and a similar amplitude curve from clean into saturation. I often use my guitar volume to control the amount of distortion, and I really like to rely on the touch of my playing to control the amount of saturation.

This has recently been very frustrating to me as I've entered the world of trying to have simultaneous a clean/mild breakup amp and distorted amp. If I set the amp levels to be the same when I'm playing loud, the clean amp drops off into obscurity when I play quietly. If I set the volumes for a good mix for more delicate playing, the clean amp is much too loud when I'm really laying into it.

I understand that this is just a limitation of physics. I've tried compressors and it always feels like a band aid to me. I've tried to find some kind of compromise and come close, but something always bothers me when playing with other people. I think I want the IDEA to work more than I think a two amp setup will actually make for a better experience for me and the music I'm making.

I bring this up because I want to hear your experiences. Please gush. Go nuts. Thanks!
Last edited by benadrian on Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Dual Amp / Two Amp setups

One of the drawbacks of passive A/B/Y switches is that they cut your guitar signal in half when in Y mode. However this can be useful if you don't want the two-amp setting to be louder than the single amp setting. Maybe you could capitalize on this somehow.

I just picked up a Randall RG-80 112 that I am thinking of using as a clean boost, i.e. run it along with my main amp, bypassed for regular riffs and activated when I want a clean lead. I'm probably going to send it a signal from the preamp out of my main amp with a passive switch to cut signal to it when not needed. I feel like having another amp kick in for leads will be more effective than just boosting my main signal, since my main amp will compress the boosted signal to some degree. Anyway just some rambling thoughts about 2-amp setups.

I used to use a Balls AC30 w/ 2 Celestion Blues and a 15 watt Gibson GA-6 w/ a vintage Jensen, at least for a couple shows as a duo w a drummer. AC30 mostly clean GA6 more dirty.

Acoustically, it shouldnt have worked as well as it did. For single note kind of stuff the GA-6 took up the majority of space, and for chords where the GA-6 might get kind of ratty the AC30 shone through. So there was that push and pull between amps but it worked.

I usually used a boost for slight dynamic shifts past 10 on my guitar volume knob and a Hot Cake for blown out leads. Of course the AC30 had headroom so it took the Overdrive pedal further out.

It wasn’t super loud, but it was hanging with a big Ludwig kit in a smallish room.

I also really liked a Super Reverb and AC30 combined but it was so loud once you got it happening drums had trouble catching up.

There were other adventures with the AC30 and an Ampeg V2.

So I dunno, most amp combinations worked for me. Those are all amps I played alot alone and I just hooked them up with a little passive Radial thing.

I recorded with a 2 amp setup for the first time earlier this year. If I remember correctly, I went into the always classy and understated Session Man II, then a Boss LS-2 with one output going to a deluxe reverb and the other going into a WEM copicat, then a Silvertone 1484 (cranked) into a Gibson Titan III cabinet (2x10" and a 15"). The delay knob on the Session Man II was manipulated with an EH Hot Foot. It was more of an experiment than anything. I was hoping for a sound that was overwhelming, but had some character. Something to love. I ended up making my favorite song to date. After some initial fiddling I got it in one take, just ripping through the song with this big novelty noise machine. The first half of the song is restrained, controlled feedback, softly picking along to the rhythm, but when it rips into 'solo' mode, it was just glorious. Cathartic and inspiring. Not the type of thing I would play out with, but for putting something together at home or in the studio, this was the closest I've ever gotten to the type of guitar noise I hear in my head. It was so much fun and I definitely intend to do that more.
Radio show https://www.wmse.org/program/the-tom-wa ... xperience/
My band https://redstuff.bandcamp.com/
Solo project https://tomwanderer.bandcamp.com/

You've most certainly considered this already and it's been kind of said but juuuust in case

1. Buffered pedal instead of an a/b (ye-ol boss tuner or stereo chorus works great, and then you might find you want a little chorus.. )

2. You don't have an speakers out of phase right? and just to be certain, not like.. one speaker in a 4x12 now IN phase with the entire other 2x12 (if that's what you're running?)

3. Given the issue is lightly playing doesn't generate enough volume on the clean amp, do either of the amps have an effects loop, in which case have you tried putting said compressor in the effects loop to see if you can even things out AFTER the initial signal is brought up to 'line' level?

4. Stereo compressor?

5. clean boost before the clean amp - miiiiiight not push it enough into distortion but enough that it will level out your playing.

What are the amps? And do you get the same feeling with different guitars? Just wondering if it's a vast input impedance mismatch kind of thing as well

You've most certainly considered this already and it's been kind of said but juuuust in case

1. Buffered pedal instead of an a/b (ye-ol boss tuner or stereo chorus works great, and then you might find you want a little chorus.. )

2. You don't have an speakers out of phase right? and just to be certain, not like.. one speaker in a 4x12 now IN phase with the entire other 2x12 (if that's what you're running?)

3. Given the issue is lightly playing doesn't generate enough volume on the clean amp, do either of the amps have an effects loop, in which case have you tried putting said compressor in the effects loop to see if you can even things out AFTER the initial signal is brought up to 'line' level?

4. Stereo compressor?

5. clean boost before the clean amp - miiiiiight not push it enough into distortion but enough that it will level out your playing.

What are the amps? And do you get the same feeling with different guitars? Just wondering if it's a vast input impedance mismatch kind of thing as well