Which band was better?

The Grateful Dead
Total votes: 15 (33%)
The Doors
Total votes: 31 (67%)
Total votes: 46

Re: The Doors vs The Dead

penningtron wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:01 am Intense hate for either of these bands is super fuckin' tiresome.
Definitely don’t hate either band. Just generally don’t find either band interesting.

To your point, I don’t quite understand hating on Morrison because of his personality/ego at this point. He’s been dead for how long now?
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

I want to loop the first three seconds of "Doin' That Rag" over a shambling hip-hop beat while inserting Jerry's trippy vocables in random parts of the track. The Doors have good songs, "Not to Touch the Earth" being a near-to-great one, but the Dead have better songs that carry emotional weight. Like FM Pennington I don't care much for the extended jams they are noted for, but it's a minor quibble.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

jeff fox wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:16 am
I might be in the minority as a dead fan, but IDGAF if every noise rock dickhead hates them, it's almost an asset.
Regardless of the actual music, The Dead has some of the best lyrics ever written about death.
Dead fans overwhelmingly and jam fans generally get points for knowing fully well that a major percentage of music enthusiasts clown on their favorite thing and they take it with good humored grace. Cool fucking people who don't get upset about what I might say about their music.

No time for either of these bands, they do nothing for me. Maybe when I was a teenager I had a dalliance with the Doors, as many did, but it didn't stick.

When my wife and I were dating in the late 90's, we lived in Boulder CO, for a while. We shared a split level townhome with another couple and a good friend. Her group of friends had a periphery that included some real hardcore phish/string cheese following 90's style hippies. Living in conversion vans, traveling the country to see shows and shit, staying with friends or in parking lots, panhandling for gas money, etc. This was a thing then. My wife and I were the punk rock outliers of this group. I had like 4 total friends at the time and they were all living back in Texas.

One of these bands of hippies showed up and spent a weekend with us. Nothing but Live Dead bootleg cassettes on fucking repeat for like 3 days. They were duping them for each other, pointing out differences in the solo that such and so played etc. I found then that it just wasn't for me. Like, at all. It's remained the same since.

The final night they were in town they repaid us by making a huge stir fry, vegetarian of course, with all kinds of veggies, rice, noodles, etc. I don't remember much about the meal itself, but at the end the woman who made the majority of the meal approached us and said "hey, I really want to tell you about this food! Everything you ate tonight was free - we got it from the dumpster behind Whole Foods! They just throw away perfectly good food, you just have to cut off the rotten parts of the veggies and you're good to go."

Now, in hindsight, I have far fewer misgivings about their lifestyle, but I was a judgy kid in 1999, and these fucking BO stinking, sandal wearing, Grateful Dead loving hippies had just repaid us for our hospitality with fucking garbage. Literally - they fed us trash. I will never forget how my stomach fucking dropped when she explained the source of the meal.
FF to today, and every single time I see a Dead logo, hear a song, have any sort of encounter with them, I'm immediately back on that sofa in CO eating waste.

I will admit, the skull/skeleton logo is kinda cool. That's it tho.

Frankie99 wrote: Nothing but Live Dead bootleg cassettes on fucking repeat for like 3 days.
Be thankful for small mercies, with a dead show on repeat you may only get through something twice in the course of a weekend.

Your story is phenomonal….gut-wrenching.

Back around, maybe, 2000, I had just quit my first engineering job out of college (in disgust) and moved back to upstate NY from the hellhole of northern NJ. I got a job at a fancy grocery store/deli. Bunch of different, cool people worked there and we regularly hung out after closing time. One night we were all hanging and drinking at one of the coworkers' place, and the boyfriend of a girl who worked with us was there as well. He was a total indie rock guitar nerd type. Music major, probably worshipped Tortoise or something. Very uptight and difficult to talk to. So we're hanging out, having fun and there are different instruments around. The hippie guy who worked with us is jamming...and he is undoubtedly a genius. Making shit up on guitar, singing, rapping off the top of his head, he even jumped on turntables and started fucking shit up in a way I've never seen before or since. Kind of a fuckup dude, as is pretty common with this kind of person. You've probably met people like him. Definitely a full hippie vibe, which bothered the fuck out of uptight indie dude, who rolled his eyes at the flow of music coming out of this guy. So, hippie's aware that the guitar dude is a music guy and just wants him to jump in and jam with him. Of COURSE he's not gonna do that. We're drinking and hippie continues to offer words of encouragement, "cmon, it'll be great- you sure? let's just jam!". Finally, uptight guy just blows the fuck up and screams at hippie: "I'M NOT GONNA FUCKING JAM WITH YOU. SHUT THE FUCK UP AND LEAVE ME ALONE. I CAN'T STAND YOU." [record scratch] Turns to his super meek girlfriend and says "We're going.". Since that day I will always side with the hippies vs. the anti-hippies.
gonzochicago wrote: Doubling down on life, I guess you could say.