Which band was better?

The Grateful Dead
Total votes: 15 (33%)
The Doors
Total votes: 31 (67%)
Total votes: 46

Re: The Doors vs The Dead

I like the first, second and sixth Doors albums fine. Morrison is the main attraction, so if you're not into his thing then I can see how they'd annoy, esp as what was darker and artier for its time now sounds milquetoast and pretentious. But they had a depth and drama at their peak moments that I find effecting enough, even though I'm not really a fan.

I have tried many, many times w/ the Dead - somebody will recommend trippy live album x or early primitive experimental album y or later period jazz fusion-ish album z and I'll think "You know, that sounds right up my street. Maybe I'll crack them this time". Still never happened. Maybe I've been spoilt by listening to Space Ritual at an early age.

The Doors for me.

I don't really care for top tier country music, nor for americana in general, save for a few exceptions, and to hear that kind of music, but with the expectation of hearing some kind of genius ensemble playing bordering on the avant garde, as it's often sold as being by their fanatic fanbase, is kind of like sipping a glass that's supposed to have single malt whiskey in it but finding out it's actually Dr Peppers once it's in my mouth. Even Phish make more sense musically to me than the Dead.

I often enjoyed listening to The Doors second-hand when I was a teenager, but never bothered looking into them any deeper. I prefer The Doors.
Most of what I've played on
Most of what I've worked on

M.H wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:41 am
I have tried many, many times w/ the Dead
Me too. Europe '72, Live Dead, I don't get it. I do like 'Touch of Grey' and 'The Golden Road', but those are radio songs.

It's The Doors for me easy.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

I'll vote the Dead even though I've never really listened to them because they weren't the ones who wrote that godawful "try to run, try to hide, break on through to the other side" line. That's fucking Starship territory right there. It's almost as bad as the bridge in "A Secret Place," which has Dave Mustaine's worst lyrics that weren't "Aye aye aye!"

Jesus, most lyrics in general are fucking terrible.
Total_douche, MSW, LICSW (lulz)

Bernardo wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:45 pm Even Phish make more sense musically to me than the Dead.
Agree. I found Phish mildly interesting for a minute back in the day, which is more than I can say for the dead. I put on "A Picture of Nectar" sometime in the past year and it wasn't horrible, the tunes are catchy-ish and it sort of kinda vaguely gets in the neighborhood of the ballpark of ever so slightly rocking a little bit every now and again.

There's a movie called "between me and my mind" about Trey specifically and the band generally, my takeaway was I really don't like their music, but clearly these are smart guys, you can't be a dumbass and play music like that...but listening to them talk, all I could think was: JFC these dudes have done A LOT of drugs. They all seemed to talk in this weird sort of mumbly, giggly way I associate with acid casualties.
work: http://oldcolonymastering.com
fun: https://morespaceecho.com

I really like "Touch Of Grey" great song. The rest of the Dead's music seems unassailable for me. too much, no toe hold to start from. Same for Zappa.

Doors. Yes, Morrison was a wanker. A rich, handsome wanker. But the band had some 100% bangers. The groove on LA Woman once it really kicks in is unfuckwithable.

If I was a rich handsome famous wanker in 1969 - 72 I'd be dead now too.

We have to appreciate that the Doors music would have been mind blowing at the time. It didn't age well, but most of us discovered them in our 80's to 90's teen years.

I'll still turn up a Doors tune on the car radio. My kids love Kill 'Em All and Puppetz too. gotta pass the batton on.
Trey Wrote: "How great must a thread be to miss such a thing? Beans on the penis great, I suppose"

ChudFusk wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:06 am This is easy. The Dead play rambling shitty country doodle piss bucket bullshit. The Doors ranged from schmaltzy crooner pop to shamanic desert rock. Their highs greatly surpass anything the Dead did. Riders On The Storm, The End, LA Woman, plenty of other bangers. Was Morrison a clown? Sure, but that's his job.
This

Doors get a little pass from me just for using cheapozoid transistor combo organs and Rhodes Piano Bass. OTT, fuck em. Even the best Dead songs put me to sleep and the guitars are just a bowl of noodles. It's close but I don't think the Dead used cool organs... probably just like, B3's which is the most pedestrian organ tone from the era.
Was Japmn.

New OST project: https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/flight-ost
https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/numberwitch
https://boneandbell.com/site/music.html