Which band was better?

The Grateful Dead
Total votes: 15 (33%)
The Doors
Total votes: 31 (67%)
Total votes: 46

Re: The Doors vs The Dead

Kniferide wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:04 pm Doors get a little pass from me just for using cheapozoid transistor combo organs and Rhodes Piano Bass. OTT, fuck em. Even the best Dead songs put me to sleep and the guitars are just a bowl of noodles. It's close but I don't think the Dead used cool organs... probably just like, B3's which is the most pedestrian organ tone from the era.
Now, I gotta feel like a little old grandpa...

Doors by a lot.

Which odd, since:
  • I admire the Dead as much as I admire Rush, which is a lot, even though in both cases I have very little use for their creative output.
  • I would probably enjoy (or have enjoyed) hanging out with basically anyone in the Dead.
  • I think I would have paid money to avoid hanging out with Jim Morrison or Ray Manzarek.
I just actively like quite a bit of the Doors' music.

Frankie99 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:55 am No time for either of these bands, they do nothing for me. Maybe when I was a teenager I had a dalliance with the Doors, as many did, but it didn't stick.

When my wife and I were dating in the late 90's, we lived in Boulder CO, for a while. We shared a split level townhome with another couple and a good friend. Her group of friends had a periphery that included some real hardcore phish/string cheese following 90's style hippies. Living in conversion vans, traveling the country to see shows and shit, staying with friends or in parking lots, panhandling for gas money, etc. This was a thing then. My wife and I were the punk rock outliers of this group. I had like 4 total friends at the time and they were all living back in Texas.

One of these bands of hippies showed up and spent a weekend with us. Nothing but Live Dead bootleg cassettes on fucking repeat for like 3 days. They were duping them for each other, pointing out differences in the solo that such and so played etc. I found then that it just wasn't for me. Like, at all. It's remained the same since.

The final night they were in town they repaid us by making a huge stir fry, vegetarian of course, with all kinds of veggies, rice, noodles, etc. I don't remember much about the meal itself, but at the end the woman who made the majority of the meal approached us and said "hey, I really want to tell you about this food! Everything you ate tonight was free - we got it from the dumpster behind Whole Foods! They just throw away perfectly good food, you just have to cut off the rotten parts of the veggies and you're good to go."

Now, in hindsight, I have far fewer misgivings about their lifestyle, but I was a judgy kid in 1999, and these fucking BO stinking, sandal wearing, Grateful Dead loving hippies had just repaid us for our hospitality with fucking garbage. Literally - they fed us trash. I will never forget how my stomach fucking dropped when she explained the source of the meal.
FF to today, and every single time I see a Dead logo, hear a song, have any sort of encounter with them, I'm immediately back on that sofa in CO eating waste.

I will admit, the skull/skeleton logo is kinda cool. That's it tho.
Hahahahahaha
"lol, listen to op 'music' and you'll understand"....

https://sebastiansequoiah-grayson.bandcamp.com/
https://oblier.bandcamp.com/releases
https://youtube.com/user/sebbityseb

The Doors get my vote, in part because I grew up with them playing in the background and in part because I like a lot of their songs. I got nothing against the Dead and I like a number of their songs, but I can’t get into the live jam stuff no matter how much I’ve tried. Maybe I’d be more into the Dead if my dad listened to bootleg tapes when I was growing up instead of classic rock vinyl, maybe I’d be more into them if I indulged my hippie friends in high school and went to a Dead show with them and did a shitload of shrooms, who knows, it just don’t click.
f.k.a. jimmy two hands

Love everything about the Dead except the music. Really wish I could get into it, and I've tried more and more over the last few years as more buds have gotten way into them. Every time I hear them I just would rather be listening to Can or 70s Miles or NY&CH or Television. Kinda over giving anyone shit for loving the Dead though, especially folks who seem to have organically discovered them over the last few years.

I think I'm getting over Doors hatred too. They all seemed like pretentious dorks, but when they rocked they could rock. Pretty much always liked the first LP and most singles after that.
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

Bernardo wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:45 pm I don't really care for top tier country music, nor for americana in general, save for a few exceptions, and to hear that kind of music, but with the expectation of hearing some kind of genius ensemble playing bordering on the avant garde, as it's often sold as being by their fanatic fanbase, is kind of like sipping a glass that's supposed to have single malt whiskey in it but finding out it's actually Dr Peppers once it's in my mouth.
This totally reminds me of the first time I actually heard the Dead in my teens - they weren't played on classic rock radio here in the UK during the 90s and Internet v.1 was still super primitive. I think a version of AllMusic was online at this stage but no streaming yet, so I had no idea what they actually sounded like. But with that name, the skeleton and roses logo, radical counterculture vibe... all this sent my imagination into overdrive and I was ready for some heavy, drug doused rock and fucking roll when I picked up American Beauty.

Cue dissapointment: I couldn't believe how timid and twee the songs were - almost like the whole thing was an elaborate practical joke being played at my expense. Bear in mind I'd just picked up (and had my mind blown by) Sabbath's Paranoid and Killers by the Coop so I was expecting 'Friend of the Devil' to be at least as blood thirsty as 'Dead Babies' or 'Hand of Doom'. That one got filed back on the shelf for a very long time...

The Doors are the pinnacle of American rock music. In 2023 hating on the Doors only proves you are still scared to talk to girls. Jim Morrison is like Iggy if Iggy were funny.

The Grateful Dead possibly the worst "rock band" ever, abhorrent, amoral libertarians pandering pseudo-counterculture for neo-liberal East Coast rich kids. I wouldn't fuck them with Steely Dan's dick.