Re: Fashion Accessory: the Hat

Hats are fine, if a person can pull them off. At present, I'm just too jowly to look that good in one.

Did buy a sunhat similar to this, in the event I have to spend a lot of time in the hot sun down here, but it is by no means a "fashion accessory" in any meaningful sense of the term.

Several year back, I picked up a decent fedora at a department store, which I wore to a friend's post-wedding reception in the midwest. It didn't look too terrible in that context, wherein most people were decently dressed but not sporting formal attire. But then, within a year or two, I started seeing all of these memes about fedora-wearing reply guys/libertarians/very-online nerdy "badasses"/Jordan Peterson fans/etc., and then it just sort of lost its appeal, kind of like the trench coat before it.

If/when I go bald, slim down, or go bald and slim down, I might amend this post but hats are mostly avoided now. Will give them a Not Crap, but with maybe about six waffles. That seems about right.
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .

My bestie is a Hat Guy, he pulls it off, gets a lot of compliments on it when out and about. I'm decidedly not a Hat Guy, have never worn a baseball cap ever, I think a lot of hats just look dumb.

That said, I have a big floppy wide brimmed hat that's essential for working outside in the summer, keeps the sun from burning holes in my eyes. I look ridiculous, Mrs MSE laughs at me all the time, it's fun.

I have a knit hat on most of the winter, because warm. Saying I wear this for fashion would be stretching it, but I'm fussy about them, some look a lot cooler than others.

Like FM jfv said, I'm 53 and still have (most of) my hair, gotta show that shit off.
work: http://oldcolonymastering.com
fun: https://morespaceecho.com

MoreSpaceEcho wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:52 am
That said, I have a big floppy wide brimmed hat that's essential for working outside in the summer, keeps the sun from burning holes in my eyes. I look ridiculous, Mrs MSE laughs at me all the time, it's fun.
Oh man, the floppy yard work hat. I remember being shallow enough to shudder at photos of friends gardening on social media with that very style of hat. One silver dollar sized MOHs surgery to remove a basal cell problem on my back and I'm out there with the floppy hat doing landscaping. I have skin adapted to Northern Europe and I live at an altitude of 5,280 feet in a state with more sunny days than most.

losthighway wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:14 am I remember being shallow enough to shudder at photos of friends gardening on social media with that very style of hat.
A year ago I would've been the same. But starting last spring I was getting frequent ocular migraines (if you're not familiar: they're triggered by bright light, basically your vision goes all psychedelic for 15 minutes or so. Not debilitating but not fun either), and my eyes got super sensitive to light. I was going through eye drops by the gallon, and that shit's expensive. Working outside, even with sunglasses, wasn't really doable. Big stupid hat made it doable.
work: http://oldcolonymastering.com
fun: https://morespaceecho.com

Never been a hat guy. I run hot and I don’t really have the head for it to look good. I think our gracious host was known to sport a hat for a while, maybe as a poker thing. Soon after, the trilby and fedora comeback took on a gentlesir Redditor vibe, but that’s not the hats’ fault.

NC but I don’t really care because, as I mentioned, I don’t really wear them.

One of my cousins is a ren faire type, and he wears a medieval peasant hat for any occasion.

A while back I bought a used suit so I could go flying with less worry that I would be "randomly selected" for a "totally not racially-loaded extra security screening." I bought a little grey trilby to wear with it. So I used to just wear it any time I needed to dress up for anything. Eventually I ended up in a profession where it made sense to dress up, so I wore it with the business formal attire I was wearing. Last year, my mom got me a different trilby that looks like the one my grandpa used to wear. I like it. Other people like it. I wear it all the time. I figure maybe some people might judge who I am based on it, but they're assholes and can fuck off. I guess that's all I have to say.
Total_douche, MSW, LICSW (lulz)