Re: Fashion Accessory: the Hat

ErickC wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:37 pm I wear it all the time. I figure maybe some people might judge who I am based on it, but they're assholes and can fuck off. I guess that's all I have to say.
Hear, hear! That's the kind of attitude we need. Otherwise cool people won't wear nice hats for fear of association with some jackasses who happened to wear them once.

Love the hat. I can't pull it off for whatever reason, which is too bad since I have no hair. Occasionally a baseball had won't make me look like a doofus, but whereas when Randy puts on a hat people's faces would brighten and say "yes, that's it!" when I try on hats, I get a polite purse of the lips and a head shake "Yeah, I don't know about that Frankie. Keep looking."

Floppy bucket type hat for the beach for this balding 58 year old? Sure. I live 2 miles from the beach and the kids love to swim as much as I hate a sunburned noggin.

Ball cap for when I drive one of my convertibles? Again, sure. You don't realize how much glare gets blocked by the roof of your car until you don't have a roof.

I can't with other hats. I mean, not without BS cultural appropriation. I used to have a great Nigeran crown and I still have a nice Tunisian Fez but I'm the whitest guy in the world and should never try to rock those in public. My brother has a deep collection of antique Stetsons and he looks great in them but I just look like I'm trying too hard.

Crap if for fashion. Not crap if the either keep head warm or keep self from burning.

Fashion hats have a bad rep in Australia, and rightly so. Worn almost exclusively by dickheads here.

Heh, had to warn my American brother:

“Hey what hats should I bring?”

“None. Bring no hats.”
"lol, listen to op 'music' and you'll understand"....

https://sebastiansequoiah-grayson.bandcamp.com/
https://oblier.bandcamp.com/releases
https://youtube.com/user/sebbityseb

I’ve always disliked wearing hats, mainly because I have a thick head of hair. Hats retain heat, and I’ve always lived in the sunbelt. I’ll wear a toboggan or a hunting cap when it gets excessively cold.

My hair has thinned a bit with age, and this makes hats a little more practical, especially when the sun is beating down. I have to start thinking about melanoma on my forehead and neck. I’ve been wearing a mesh gardening hat when I’m outside in the summer.

Here’s the thing- a wide-brimmed straw cowboy hat is really practical where sunblockage is concerned, but it has been championed by douchebags, rednecks, and tourists. Every Summer, I put one on my head, look in the mirror, and think nah, I can’t.

There’s a hat that exists that straddles the line between Stetson and sombrero. This may be the ticket. It’s almost like wearing an umbrella on one’s head. Kinda dopey, but oh, the shade.

Here is a picture of me in a hat, at Mustang Island, with my main squeeze-
Last edited by Dave N. on Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.