Phish

Crap
Total votes: 23 (96%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 1 (4%)
Total votes: 24

Re: C/NC: Phish

Phish is horrible, and they have insufferable fans. Much worse than Deadheads. There is one good thing about Phish, which is that they play a wide variety of eclectic covers which allows me to have a conversation with a Phish fan without having to actually talk about Phish. A single show chosen at random they have covered Scott Joplin, TV on the Radio, James Gang, and Bowies “rock and roll suicide”. I can work with that.
Krev wrote: This shit is like Raffi for adults
No shitting on Raffi
Raffi advocates for a child's right to live free of commercial exploitation and he has consistently refused all commercial endorsement offers. Raffi's company has never directly advertised nor marketed to children. In 2005, he sent an open letter to Ted Rogers of Rogers Wireless, urging them to stop marketing cell phones to children. He also turned down a film proposal for "Baby Beluga" because of the nature of the funding, which was based on exploitative advertising and marketing.

I went to UMaine in the late 80s / early 90s and Phish was an up and coming band that wasn't yet a national thing. At that point the Dead were in their final act and Phish was the new good times party culture band that would eventually absorb much of that scene. That was a weird time and place because like you might be into Dead Kennedys but also had a bunch of Dead tapes or whatever. So yeah, I had some friends who were into Phish and I knew the early records which even then didn't seem to have any real heart. Ridiculous nonsense lyrics and noodly circle of fifths bullshit. I saw them once, maybe 1990 or so? It was pretty terrible. In another year I moved to Boston and Phish and the whole hippie jam scene was mostly off my radar.

I've softened a lot over the years with stuff like the Dead, who I now genuinely like, but still just can't with Phish. Crap.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

Once I was flipping through channels and saw Phish was on Austin City Limits. I figured what the fuck and decided to give them an honest listen. I've never been more dumfounded in my life. Sounded like straight up clown music to me. Everything sounded like it was plugged in direct. Maybe the most anemic thing I've ever heard. It was at that point I decided The Greatful Dead was a-ok in my book, as I could at least relate to the musicality of that.

Go look up that performance. Truly a head scratcher.

A contender for worst music ever recorded.
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/

People into Phish seem to only be into Phish. And maybe a few other jam bands. Like these are not people that enjoy music, but enjoy Phish and maybe some bands that sound kinda like Phish.

So, boring. I don't begrudge anyone their personal jam, but...boring.