Phish

Crap
Total votes: 23 (96%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 1 (4%)
Total votes: 24

Re: C/NC: Phish

I like the live version of 'Bouncing Around the Room' from A Live One.

I know nothing further, though if I were to find myself at a festival where they were playing, I'd check them out.

Abstain.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

joelb wrote: I don't begrudge anyone their personal jam, but...boring.
Yes. I've heard very little, but my impression -- and my disappointment -- is that they're just so normal-sounding.
I thought they would surely sound really crazy and weird, what with all the drugs and jamming and stuff.
Go ahead and post a link -- when do they get weird?
It's almost weird how normal they are. Maybe that's their thing.

Teacher's Pet wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:22 am
joelb wrote: I don't begrudge anyone their personal jam, but...boring.
Yes. I've heard very little, but my impression -- and my disappointment -- is that they're just so normal-sounding.
I thought they would surely sound really crazy and weird, what with all the drugs and jamming and stuff.
Go ahead and post a link -- when do they get weird?
It's almost weird how normal they are. Maybe that's their thing.
This has been my reaction to all jam bands. I go in expecting to hear the band launch a song out into deep space, but I get a bunch of mellow noodling. When I finally heard Can, I thought, “This is what everyone promised the Dead would sound like!”

One waffle for Phish is that I recall seeing a video of a show that happened roughly around the time of Slint’s reunion at Pitchfork. At the Phish show, everyone was dancing and having a good time; at Slint, the band looked fine, but the crowd consisted of frowning dudes in identical clothes, with crossed arms. No movement at all in that crowd, except for some head bobbing. It looked just joyless.

I was really into this girl back in the day, but quickly discovered that she was way into Phish. Her group of friends would follow them around and what not. My interest started to wane a bit after that.
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.

Ace K wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:04 pm Crap, but you're allowed to listen to them if you're from New England
I'm from New England and would rather listen to Blood for Blood.
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.

I remember being dragged to that Bittersweet Motel documentary while in college and coming away with a certain appreciation for them. Would I ever buy or download their albums? Or seek out their stuff on youtube? No, not really. But nothing really bothers me about their music the way it seems to with other people. It's kind of just there, floating in the ether, ready to be consumed, or not.
Crap but not really all that crap.
Canuck fellow traveller. Guitarist/loudmouth in https://phenolhouse.bandcamp.com/ and https://heatsheet.bandcamp.com/