Sports Phenomenon: Trash-Talking?

Crap
Total votes: 2 (15%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 11 (85%)
Total votes: 13

Re: Sports Phenomenon: Trash-Talking

Yeah just read about this and thought wtf is this bullshit. I generally don't have a problem with it but even in the context of trash-talk that was like the mildest possible. Just a simple taunt. People are weird.

Not usually into sports myself but it's sort of a safe space for letting loose tribal energies and I feel like since it's so obviously not-serious you can go all in on it much more (unlike say politics, where it's more troublesome). I see value in that.
born to give

PASTA wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:00 am
A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:24 pm Never Crap. High art, even.
Especially in Hoops
See:
Reggie Millers hands around neck at half court to Spike Lee.
Every Jordan Game ever
Every Larry Bird Game EVER

Absolutely not crap.
I dont like that I almost reported this post since that button is next to the quote button. Oops.

Agree 100%. It's not an original idea, but a friend once wondered how much people would pay to see games on a subscription channel with all the players conversations broadcast. I'd pay A LOT. At least, at the points of my life I could afford it I would. I can't even watch regular baseball here now. Gah. Another thread.

What a tremendously fun experience that would be. Probably the greatest shit talking on earth, and we could be on the auditory front row.

Shit talking is a part of any competition. IME, you talk the best and most shit about people you genuinely admire/respect/love even though you might hate them at that moment.

NC, waffle factor for slurs, which aren't trash talk, they're slurs. It's an easy distinction.

This.

Too many funny, clever, or absurb favourites come to mind in combat sports but feel to mention that very occasionally it will go to a very real dark place where it feels like someone might die and it is just *kisses fingers*.

There is probably 2 hours of footage of Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones that is the peak for me.

(Gary Payton in NBA was a hilarious prick)

Frankie99 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:16 am
PASTA wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:00 am
Especially in Hoops
See:
Reggie Millers hands around neck at half court to Spike Lee.
Every Jordan Game ever
Every Larry Bird Game EVER

Absolutely not crap.
NC, waffle factor for slurs, which aren't trash talk, they're slurs. It's an easy distinction.
thanks for making that distinction, which I omitted without thinking
"More open-minded than Catholics".

sparky wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:12 am
I enjoyed those. I don’t follow cricket, but I was fond of the slightly surreal song of cruelty Mitchell Johnson was taunted with back in 2010.
He bowls to the left
He bowls to the rye-ay-rrright
O Mitchell Johnson
His bowling is shite

They made a direction seasick with a chant.
Tasty at the time, but Johnson has made England pay since, so revenge was his.
"And the light, it burns your skin...in a language you don't understand."