the Black Crowes

Crape
Total votes: 19 (66%)
Not Crape
Total votes: 10 (34%)
Total votes: 29

Re: band: the Black Crowes

kicker_of_elves wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:50 am
M.H wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:19 am I like the first 3 albums just fine - a bit too much Faces in the mix for me to really love, but that's just my tastes - and they hold their own w/ Page in some of the footage of that collab I've seen ('Wanton Song' - fuck yeah!), which is not to be casually dismissed.

I will say I find it frustrating that it seems the bratty (though not full on psycho) behaviour that pushed them over the edge into a VH1 behind the music level career, I wouldn't have bet that they'd be the success story outta that very late 80s / early 90s retro rock scene w/ (IMO) superior competition like Cry of Love or Drivin and Cryin or the Four Horsemen. But that's how the dice fall.

N.C.
Four Horsemen was awesome.
I didn't care much for this band, but the singer produced this slice of Priest-inspired cheese:

We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.

One of the very first bands I ever saw live, 1990 opening for Robert Plant, I think I had been to one other concert (Tom Petty) earlier that same year, so like maybe the 3rd real band I had ever seen in person, becuz of that I always had a bit of soft spot for them.

I loved that first record with passion but I don't think I've heard it since like 92. Southern Harmony I dug when I heard the songs on the radio or MTV or when a friend played it but I'm not sure if I ever owned a copy, by that point I was already exposed to punk/underground stuff so BC seemed pretty passé, I bet if you played it for me right now I would like it. After that they seemed to disappear up their own butts in a cloud of weed smoke.

I've also always been charmed by how much the Robinsons truly seem to hate each other. The Gorman book sounds fun.

NC Waffle Factor: Extremely High ("tall" as CR would say) becuz I think deep down they are probably actually Crap.

Never gave them any thought...falling into the grunge/indie rock era, the Black Crowes seemed humorless antiquated revivalists in the vein of Gin Blossoms, Wallflowers, Counting Crows, and similar 90s MOR bands. Maybe I missed out, and they ruled, but it seems doubtful. There was plenty of classic rock radio to listen to already, so what I heard from Black Crowes didn't seem to thrill.

Their first few LPs are a combination of stuff I love: the Faces' loose swagger, vocals from the Terry Reid school, electric guitars in open G. Their second album The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion still holds up, every track is solid. The breakdown at 3:42 on Remedy where the guitars cut out with the electric piano up front is groovy as fuck. Their faux-Zep with Jimmy Page is pretty respectable as well, mostly thanks to Steve Gorman. Too bad about the Robinson brothers' general douchebaggery but I still crank that second record all the time. Not shite.

https://thegemshow.bandcamp.com/album/a-mountain-2
https://spitegeist.bandcamp.com/
https://wandajunes.bandcamp.com/