Re: Artsy posthardcore/ emo/ San Diego sound

penningtron wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:06 am
caga tio wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:52 am I grew up in Denver and was just finishing up high school in the 1990s when I started going to see local bands at warehouse parties and places like the Lion's Lair, Mercury Cafe, etc.
Oh nice! You might be a few years ahead of losthighway and I as I feel like I missed out on the 'influential' phase of Denver bands like Angel Hair and Christie Front Drive. But yeah, Denver otherwise always felt like it was years behind the coasts and people often wouldn't stick around (or at best they might show up for college, start cool bands, then eventually leave). And now it's considered a hip, desirable (and expensive!) place to live wtf.
Hey look at that! Denver folk! I left Denver (for the last time) in 2007. I went back to vist a couple of years ago and it is a completely different town. I remember Christie Front Drive. They weren't really my speed back then but I remeber them playing a lot, opening for national acts and what not. Another band that was in Denver for a while that would fit here was Planes Mistaken for Stars. They went more metal later, I think, but the first one at least would fit in with this thread's focus.
Last edited by caga tio on Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caga tio wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:37 pm Another band that was in Denver for a while that would fit here was Planes Mistaken for Stars. They went more metal later, I think, but the first one at least would fit in with this thread's focus.
Ah yeah.. they* were from Peoria, IL but relocated to Denver: kinda what I was getting at with things being 'transplanted' there. I played in a Boulder metalcore band comprised of east coast guys, as that wouldn't have existed organically in CO circa 1998.

*and yeah Planes got harder and more gruff but never totally lived down being on the Emo Diaries comp, heh
Music

caga tio wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:52 am I grew up in Denver and was just finishing up high school in the 1990s when I started going to see local bands at warehouse parties and places like the Lion's Lair, Mercury Cafe, etc. The local scene at the time was a bunch of half-assed bands made up of then past/present Waxtrax employees, portentious cowpunk bands, and the saccharine Elephant 6 collective (and I guess things like Baldo Rex up in Boulder). Angel Hair/The VSS starting up was an absolute breath of fresh air for me personally. But it didn't last long as they follwed in the path of Steel Pole Bathtub and high-tailed it out of Colorado for the golden coast. But they put on some great shows while the were around.
Yep, I was/am a Denver guy. Kind of one class below you in the scene iterations.

As I was coming into things bands like Crestfallen, VSS, and Christie Front Drive were legends that I'd just missed. The whole scene was kind of a life-saver for me so I might have some rose colored glasses about the overall quality of the musical legacy.

kokorodoko wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:27 am A little too chaotic for me, usually. I like Orchid - do they count? They were on Ebullition but not from San Diego. I took them to be a later iteration, part of a shift to a style somewhat more contained than Heroin, Angel Hair, and so on. Shotmaker sounds decent though. Drive Like Jehu are good too.
I'd count Orchid. They add the blast beat element, but seem to draw from the same well. In fact the time I saw Red Scare they were touring with Orchid.

Other cool bands that haven't come up:

City of Caterpillar
Bread and Circuits
Yaphet Kotto

Simply a wonderful time and a great batch of genuine folks wanting to make interesting and chaotic music. Yeah we looked a little silly in our high waters but they were $2 at the flea market. There were some real crap bands but I would absolutely rather watch 50 bands play 10 minute noisey and derivative sets than 1 band indulge in 3 minutes of some manufactured Americana crooning.

Some noisey ones I like;
Palatka
In/Humanity
Charles Bronson
Antioch Arrow

Some screamy and slower ones I like;
Current
Julia
Don Martin Three
Indian Summer

Jon
moe.

penningtron wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:17 pmI'd still say NC overall because there was nothing corporate about any of that music,
At the time i had a lot of friends into this stuff and the scene was a major part of my life even though i wasn't particularly into it. I could be pretty critical of it and found it pretty cliquey. Looking back, it seems so beautiful and connected.

Also agree regarding Antioch Arrow. Musically, I always thought they transcended and were a plain old (great) punk band.

Happyman wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:09 am At the time i had a lot of friends into this stuff and the scene was a major part of my life even though i wasn't particularly into it. I could be pretty critical of it and found it pretty cliquey. Looking back, it seems so beautiful and connected.
I agree with both the good and the bad. Defiantly DIY, all ages inclusive, and certainly more female friendly than the meatball hardcore bands. But also really fuckin' white.

I quit going to that record store that hosted these shows after a few years. I got tired of 'so and so just signed with a major subsidiary so I don't carry their records anymore' type bullshit. Ah.. the best and worst of the '90s..
Music

This scene had a massive influence up and down the west coast, all the way into western Canada. It started out kind of cool - chaotic hardcore, almost like if you took Void into a free jazz direction. But it really degenerated into a cringy fashion pose in a short amount of time. And when the new wave keyboards appeared, I lost all interest. I remember friends deriding it as "spock rock", because of the stupid haircuts. One band I really liked from that scene that never got much play were Spanakorzo (sp?). Very Drive Like Jehu influenced but with more chaotic elements. I don't think they did more than a demo or an EP.
Canuck fellow traveller. Guitarist/loudmouth in https://phenolhouse.bandcamp.com/ and https://heatsheet.bandcamp.com/

I've never fully reckoned with the Blood Brothers. They seem to be the last push by anything resembling this music to be big time with label backing, package tours, recording in fancier studios. By that point the fashion had become annoying to me and the "sass" element of stage presence had gone from a counterpunch to hyper masculinity to just another pose.

The angle that they sold out is if no concern to me. I just have a lingering curiosity based on a sense that they actually worked really hard at their music, but I can't get past lingering annoyance a decade and a half later.