Re: Artsy posthardcore/ emo/ San Diego sound

Vibracobra wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:59 am
gustavprom wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:56 am One band I really liked from that scene that never got much play were Spanakorzo (sp?). Very Drive Like Jehu influenced but with more chaotic elements. I don't think they did more than a demo or an EP.
Great band.
Nice that somebody else has heard of them. I saw them play to less than a dozen kids in Victoria in 96 (?).
Canuck fellow traveller. Guitarist/loudmouth in https://phenolhouse.bandcamp.com/ and https://heatsheet.bandcamp.com/

gustavprom wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:00 am
Vibracobra wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:59 am
gustavprom wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:56 am One band I really liked from that scene that never got much play were Spanakorzo (sp?). Very Drive Like Jehu influenced but with more chaotic elements. I don't think they did more than a demo or an EP.
Great band.
Nice that somebody else has heard of them. I saw them play to less than a dozen kids in Victoria in 96 (?).
i thought Spanakorzo was fairly well known. there was the split w/ Swing Kids (10"? i have it in my collection somewhere) and the members were connected to a lot of more popular bands - i know the bass player eventually ended up in Chicago playing w/ Sweep the Leg Johnny.

i think this sound was absolutely fantastic and rightfully short lived - all of the second rate bands took the worst aspects of it and went with it which led to most of the worst music i've seen live in my lifetime. embarassing shit. but of all of the music from say, 95 to 98 i'd say the stuff that survived the best and still shines, it's easily from this scene: Antioch Arrow (ESPECIALLY the last record), Clikitat Ikatowi, the VSS - still in constant rotation in my household.

Shotmaker ruled

I had friends REALLY into this stuff, and I didn't get too far beyond Heroin, Jehu, Antioch Arrow and the Locust.

I liked how the initial bands that made up this scene or whatever, were still very into punk & hardcore.

Based on the Turned out a Punk interviews with John Reis & Justin Pearson it definitely seemed like these scenes/periods were absolutely a response to the stupidity and violence that existed in the San Diego punk scene. Since living here I've only seen smatterings of that but I can absolutely see how it would have been a thing esp given how much military/surf-skate bro mentality there can be here.
The influences of that scene still persist here and it felt like I went back in time a bit.

For whatever reason I assumed all of those bands would be jerks, I think because of the fashion at the time, but everyone I've met that ran in those circles are very nice, often still active in one thing or another.

Peoria/Denver - I think Planes Mistaken for Stars got misrepresented because of the labels they were on - if you take that first EP out of context of the time, it would be hard to lump it in with the emo/spazzy/noisy/arty stuff - felt a lot more raw/dirty and punk/hardcore.
They are still one of the best live bands I've seen, I felt they were really underappreciated. Gared dying from throat cancer was awful.

TylerDeadPine wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:08 am
Peoria/Denver - I think Planes Mistaken for Stars got misrepresented because of the labels they were on - if you take that first EP out of context of the time, it would be hard to lump it in with the emo/spazzy/noisy/arty stuff - felt a lot more raw/dirty and punk/hardcore.
They are still one of the best live bands I've seen, I felt they were really underappreciated. Gared dying from throat cancer was awful.
We lost Matt a few years earlier. That crew has endured a lot. I was wishing I was in Chicago when I saw Mikey (Planes drummer) was backing Bobby Lewis (former Git Some member) playing a bill with Nina Nastasia and PRF's own FM Tim Midyett. That must have been a great show.

losthighway wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:19 am
TylerDeadPine wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:08 am
We lost Matt a few years earlier. That crew has endured a lot. I was wishing I was in Chicago when I saw Mikey (Planes drummer) was backing Bobby Lewis (former Git Some member) playing a bill with Nina Nastasia and PRF's own FM Tim Midyett. That must have been a great show.
Man, they sure have.

I would have loved to be at that show