Less shitty: G'n'R or Meatloaf

Guns
Total votes: 13 (76%)
Meat
Total votes: 4 (24%)
Total votes: 17

Re: Guns 'n' Roses vs. Meatloaf

Yep, for me it's the cheesy but still fun aspects of Appetite for Destruction, vs the fact that the dead Republican was in the Rocky Horror Show, if only by dint of being a musical theatre nerd. The Rocky Horror Show may be the best thing any of them were ever involved with, but of course I would rather listen to a GnR song than a Meat Loaf song. I would rather listen to a dial-up modem than a Meat Loaf song.

I do enjoy the fact that the dead Republican was made to perform on stage every night with Tim Curry dressed like a French whore, but it didn't seem to make him any less Republican. Too bad he didn't live to see his political party of choice passing state laws in the twentyfuckingfirst century to make staging the Rocky Horror Show illegal.

Appetite for Meat Loaf: Paradise City By The Dashboard Light - this is A-tier forum comment work; respect.

Re: Guns 'n' Roses vs. Meatloaf

Appetite is easily one of the best rock records ever made (try listening w/ decent headphones - the guitar interplay is phenomenal, some the best ever recorded), a notch below Raw Power but still an audio attitude ferox that is a peak realisation of the art form.

And if you look at Use Your Illusion as a quadruple album, I can easily pull a double album's worth of top-shelf material together (more from UYI 1 than UYI 2). I would 100% throw 'November Rain' out but in my weaker moments I can tolerate 'Estranged' out of the lumpen (though oddly ambitious) piano-led ballads.

Bat Out Of Hell is sorta THE realisation of the rock album as music theatre paradigm and so is 100% not my thing, but it heads down the path that Tommy trod and goes further than Elton John and Springsteen were willing / able to take this sound. But it's really Jim Steinman doing the heavy work, not Meat Loaf. The Steinman-less albums are pretty bad.

So GnR for me.