Urge Overkill- medallion-wearing asshats or rockers supreme?

The Kids Are UnCRAP
Total votes: 8 (67%)
Now That’s the BarCRAP
Total votes: 4 (33%)
Total votes: 12

Re: Band: Urge Overkill

twelvepoint wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:36 am
InMySoul77 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:41 am I'm listening to Exit the Dragon for the first time in many many years. This is a great record. Reminds me of Cheap Trick. Just fun, quality rock and roll.
I love Exit the Dragon and feel like it has a loose, weary and emotionally open quality that the earlier stuff lacked.
Exit the Dragon fucking rules. It's their best record.

Never saw them live so that's not part of my decision here. They laid down great music on record.

Reading about their shenanigans made me laugh. They wanted to be bigger than they were. So what? We judge people who want to be rock stars?

NC.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

They’re fine. Solid. I like Bottle of Fur quite a bit, and the Neil Diamond cover is I think deservedly well done, and with little irony. They seemed to have predicted the whole garage rock with a gimmick revival, and surprised they didn’t get more credit from the likes of Jack White, Hives and the dozen other bands we’ve already forgotten about.

Not crap. I enjoy their entire discography and they were an ace-if hardly special or (duh!) original-little stripped down rock band in the vein of Cheap Trick or 70s Kiss; frankly, I think their albums have aged substantially better than *most* 90s as fuck rock, it's the lack of whiney angst and emo-vibes that give them an upper hand. Still, nothing *special* but DEFINITELY not crap; they made good rock (tm), their "extra-musical"/image oriented issues meant little to nothing to me over in sweden, I just heard the records and dug them...

Siidenote: Urge overkill vs. (post-hardcore era) Red Kross? I think it's a valid comparison since they both minded the same "that 70s show"-type aesthetic. It may not be a cool opinion now (or even then) but I'd actually go with UO. For all their derivativeness, they actuaally had a *sound* that was still kind of theirs whereas Red Kross made "record collector"/"reference"-music...