Third Street: ($1.75) Hero (WillGraham) is in Seat 5
Xx Xx 3 shah888 bring-in $0.50
Xx Xx T NedtheBear calls $0.50
Xx Xx 5 Namrepus folds
Xx Xx J newdeal135 calls $0.50
Xx Xx 5 Bacadide folds
Xx Xx 6 Xntryk calls $0.50
9 Q 9 WillGraham calls $0.50

--I like the fact that we have two fives dead that folded. I'm definitely last to act, so no fear of getting squeezed for another bet with a mediocre hand. felt like it was worth 50 cents in what was setting up to be. a bigger pot with a lot of limpers.

Fourth Street: ($4.25) (5 players)
Xx Xx T A NedtheBear checks____NedtheBear calls $2
Xx Xx J 4 newdeal135 checks____newdeal135 folds
Xx Xx 6 A Xntryk bets $1____Xntryk calls $1
9 Q 9 Q WillGraham raises to $2
Xx Xx 3 4 shah888 folds

--i hit the perfect card. debated raising here because i don't think it pushes anyone out, but at the same time i have two pair and want to charge any of those hands the maximum to catch up. lastly, the two hands that checked seem very weak to me and i don't want to allow one of them with an Ace to get a card for cheap. this is probably the street i'm most concerned with.

Fifth Street: ($10.25) (3 players)
Xx Xx T A 2 NedtheBear checks____NedtheBear calls $2
Xx Xx 6 A 4 Xntryk checks____Xntryk calls $2
9 Q 9 Q 8 WillGraham bets $2

--again, i tend to trusts checks and (xx)6A4 checking to me suggests he has paired up. hearts are fairly dead, so i bet here to make sure that the hand with three showing doesn't get a free ride.

Sixth Street: ($16.25) (3 players)
9 Q 9 Q 8 8 WillGraham bets $2
Xx Xx T A 2 6 NedtheBear calls $2
Xx Xx 6 A 4 T Xntryk folds

--still don't want to let the hearts get there if thats the route he's going, plus if he picked up a low draw here I want to charge him for that as well.

Seventh Street: ($20.25) (2 players)
9 Q 9 Q 8 8 J WillGraham checks
Xx Xx T A 2 6 Xx NedtheBear checks

--with the amount of aggression i've shown, i don't think i can get called by worse two pair but i do open myself up to a raise from a low that gets there which he would also do if he caught hearts. i'm wondering if i should be looking at this spot differently.

Total pot: $20.25 (Rake: $0.80)

Showdown:
WillGraham shows 9 Q 9 Q 8 8 J (two pair, Queens and Nines)
NedtheBear shows 2 T T A 2 6 9 (two pair, Tens and Twos)
WillGraham wins $19.45

Re: Stud 8 Hand (Q9)9 - For Steve

Good with everything. A Ten showing up on 6th street definitely incentivizes you to go for value less on 7th especially when you catch a pair and a diamond, like all of your shit kinda got there, and when the T shows up, it becomes a little less likely he has tens up and a little more likely he has a myriad of possibilities where you dont get called or value own yourself. Had the T not shown up, I'd bet 7th fwiw, but I like a check here since bare aces or a buried PP over nines cant call you unimproved given your board

All fine Third through Sixth. I do exactly the same. Never folding a live pair w/over last to act for a limp.

On the river your board protects you from raises from hi hands like Aces up so I'd be inclined to bet and absolutely you will get called by Tens up or some other garfinkle two-pair. No player in this pool is folding any two pair, especially beating your door.

steve wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:19 pm All fine Third through Sixth. I do exactly the same. Never folding a live pair w/over last to act for a limp.

On the river your board protects you from raises from hi hands like Aces up so I'd be inclined to bet and absolutely you will get called by Tens up or some other garfinkle two-pair. No player in this pool is folding any two pair, especially beating your door.
can you elaborate on that? my board is:

9♦ Q♦ 8♣ 8♦

There are two tens dead, which discounts my straight potential - so is this all about diamonds?

akosinski wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:43 pm can you elaborate on that? my board is:

9♦ Q♦ 8♣ 8♦

There are two tens dead, which discounts my straight potential - so is this all about diamonds?
There are still Tens in the deck, you have a Nine in the door and Eights are friends of Nines so you can have an Eight under, you are showing three to a straight flush, since a Nine is a weak door, you can also have (QQ)9... you can have enough hands that beats Aces up is all I'm saying.

steve wrote:
akosinski wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:43 pm can you elaborate on that? my board is:

9♦ Q♦ 8♣ 8♦

There are still Tens in the deck, you have a Nine in the door and Eights are friends of Nines so you can have an Eight under, you are showing three to a straight flush, since a Nine is a weak door, you can also have (QQ)9... you can have enough hands that beats Aces up is all I'm saying.
Legit question for everyone (i'm curious if everyone is on the same page here)

At what point do we switch from "there are still Tens in the deck" to "Tens are dead"

I think your conclusion (I should bet 7th) is correct, but I'm not sure that the tens are part of the equation here. I think a bet suggests that I'm not afraid of Aces up and due to diamonds being somewhat live, that protects me from being raised, even by Aces up, so obviously its a great spot - i either get paid off by worse or get called by a hand that would have bet and had me calling a bet.

Tens being dead should affect your assessment of your secondary value, it's information you can use. If you know your opponent well, you can let it affect what you presume he puts you on, but being frank most players don't make enough use of dead card info and the exposed cards have more informational value for you than them.