Re: Upcoming Shows in Texas

Unwound is a band-of-shame for me in the sense that I didn't start listening to them until about 9 years ago, and basically went because my gf is a big fan. I was very into Fugazi and Cursive in high school (early 00's) and I blame the older boys working the record stores for not hipping me to them. That being said, I really enjoyed it and will work on going through their catalog and becoming more familiar on the off chance I'll get to see them again.

Similarly, I saw Pelican last Friday and it was great. I hadn't listened to much of them in the past either and got it in my head that they were way more droney and/or doomy than they were. Great mid-tempo, but heavy, melodic shit. Kind of a slower Fucking Champs kinda deal, which I loved. I wasn't very hot on the opening bands, but Pelican's set made it worth it. Another new-to-me band that I can dig through.

Skeleton cancelled their show in Arlington which was a bummer.

Coming this week:

Thursday, the 3rd, - Claudio Simonetti's Goblin playing Demons at Texas Theatre -- this one is down the street from my house, and TexTh is my favorite spot to hang in general, so I don't have much of an excuse to miss aside from having just paid rent.

Friday, the 4th - Bob Log III at Rubber Gloves in Denton w/ locals Joe Gorgeous (who are friends of mine, and whose music is quite good). I've always missed BLIII when he rolled through town so I will try my best to not miss this one.
Teal Stripe - heavy indie rock
Inverted Candles - antifascist blackmetal
Mirage Music Club - YMO worhip (let us score your indie game)
Service Model - we have Aphex Twin at home

Frankie99 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:35 am
pachinko-devil wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:35 am Seeing Unwound tonight at The Factory (why here? seems like way too big of a room for them, but it should be cool, still). Tomorrow I'm going to see Skeleton at Growl in Arlington, then Pelican on Friday at Rubber Gloves in Denton. Another packed week! It's going to be fun, though.
Have asked Austin friends about the Chisel/Karate/Codeine/Unwound show. Pending their feedback.
My friend who went to this said it was "fucking great."

You're a fan of SUMAC, right? They're playing in our college town this weekend. I'm excited for it.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

Yeah, I love SUMAC. Drove to New Mexico to see 'em cause that's as close as they were getting to DFW. You're in for a treat, each one of them is so fun to watch play. Nick is a goddamn monster.

@pachinko - Did you see Uniform opening for Pelican? They're definitely a little much, but I love 'em. A friend once texted me back after I rec'd them because I thought it might be up his alley and he replied, "yeah, I don't hear a hit in there." lol.

Saw Spirit Possession and Bell Witch at Texas Theatre this past Sunday and both were excellent. I hadn't listened to much of them before, but I was real happy that I went. I will definitely be listening to them more in the future. It was also cool to sit in the balcony of an old art-deco theater and watch a metal show. Great vibe.

Mass of the Fermenting Dregs tonight at Dada in Dallas. Show has been sold out for a while--glad I got tickets early. They've been one of my all-timers since I first heard them about 10 years ago. So glad they are in America and having a seemingly very successful run of shows. So pumped.

TONIGHT IN ELGIN!

Plastique/Total Diamonds/ST37

This is a shredder of a show happening in Elgin at Lightning Bar, about 20 miles East of Austin. There’s been a weird little scene building up around the Lightning Bar over the last year or two. All those noisy and arty people getting priced out of Austin have been moving out that way, and the results are good. Plastique is a band featuring our very own FM Ranxerox, and they are so, so, so fucking good. Total Diamonds shred. ST37 is the proverbial box of chocolates and has been since 1987. We may get old classics, we may get songs we’ve never heard before, we may get a free-form freak out, or we may get all or none of the above.

If you’re Centrally Texan, come on down.

Another ST37 show this Saturday 2/10, this time with The Gary and Liz Burrito. Chess Club in Austin. Their show last week in Elgin was outstanding. I’ve probably seen ST37 more than any other band over the last 20 years, and they’re at the top of their game. Not bad for a band that’s been around since 1987.

If anyone is in Austin and wants to go to this on Friday 4/26, DM me. Invite only due to limited space.

“Crestview Fox is proud to present: Dr. Mabuse! Since the late 70's, Multi-instrumentalist, Doc, has been designing and building electric instruments to improvise on. In 2023 he headlined the annual Electronicafest at the National Electronics Museum in Washington DC. He taught electronic instrument design and fabrication at Webster University and has guest lectured on these topics at Washington University.
He served for 22 years on the board of the St. Louis New Music Circle including one term as president and he is a founding board member and president of the Hearding Cats Collective.

Also premiering Weird Weather, the new band featuring Dave Norwood (The Gary, Baby Robots,) Lee Ann Zimmers Cameron (New Jetz, The Devil Bat, Alma Lee, JSAS) and Beth Darcy (Rubber Goddess, Atheists and Airplanes.)
And the return of Blob! With Lisa Cameron, (ST 37, Venison Whirled, the THC Trio , The Devil Bat, JSAS, Misfit Gamelan,) Steve Landry (JSAS, Duke's Royal Foot,) Bob Bechtol (ST 37, Thanotopsis Throne, Triple Wide,) Josh Ronson (Brekekekekcoaxcoax, Brickaleurs, Misfit Gamelan.)

Music will start around 8. Not sure who will play first.

Please note: If it rains, Dr. Mabuse will cancel.

We will serve snacky foods (like finger foods,) a little beer and wine, mixers and sparkling water. Bring beverage or food to elevate the mood if you like. I'll have a cheese board and bread, so something to add to that would be nice.

This is a private party. Feel free to bring a friend or date, just don't spread this one around, thanks.

Please be Covid conscious. (Don't spread Covid around, either.) If you feel sick, stay home.

This will be an indoor/outdoor event. Please be respectful of our neighbors. This event is not appropriate for school-age children. If you want to bring your older kids, be aware that adult beverages etc. will be served.”

Most notable thing for the DFW area this week is that Chat Pile is going to be playing a free (with registration) show at Rubber Gloves for Thin Line Fest this Friday, the 26th. If you're inclined to be in the area, I'd say get there very early because it will be at capacity. One of my bands played last night for the opening day of the Fest and attendance was already pretty strong for a wednesday night.

Some stuff coming down the pipeline:

May 2nd - Neil Young @ Dos Equis Pavilion
May 10th - Slowdive @ Longhorn Ballroom
May 17th - Amenra / Primitive Man @ The Studio at the Factory
June 4th - Guitar Wolf @ Trees
June 13th - Necrot @ Three Links
Sep 14th - Divide and Dissolve @ Rubber Gloves
Oct 26th - GBV @ Ferris Wheelers
Oct 29th - Boris @ Granada Theater