Re: Upcoming Shows in Texas

Have seen recently:

Swans @ the Granada - very good, but I preferred the previous 2 shows of theirs I saw at Trees. People who hadn't seen them before said it was mind blowing - maybe my expectations were too high.

Bonnie Billy - At the Texas Theater. Excellent. Just excellent. He owns the stage and delivers. A last minute decision to go, I went alone and I'm glad I did.

Melvins/Boris - never been a big Melvins fan, I was there for Boris. Melvins opened, to my surprise, and the bass player has too much schtick. Coady from high on fire/Big Biz was in for Dale on drums, and good goddamn was he amazing. So much fun to watch him play so that overcame the rock star vibes.
Boris was so, so good. I love their versatility, and they brought their hard rock game. Lotsa fun. Also a last minute decision and I went alone.

Upcoming:
Kowloon Walled City (Denton) Will make the drive for this - they're one of my absolute faves of the last couple of years. Today is the Day is the following night, but I don't think I'll make it.

Unwound/True Widow @ the Factory in Deep Ellum- have seen Unwound many times on the OG run, and twice in CA for the reunion. They're playing that levitation thing in Austin, Dave, along with a lot of others. Wish I could get down there for Dead Meadow, alas. Won't happen. Super stoked to see True Widow open, have missed their last couple of local gigs. Wife and another friend will go to this with me.

High on Fire - the night after Unwound, also at the Factory. Have never seen before. This will make for 2 late nights in a row, but it'll be worth it. Same friend and one other from out of town will go with.

SUNN @ the Texas Theater. Saw them after life metal with FM eephus on wedge bass, so this will be my second time seeing them. Same friend and possibly others in tow. We'll see if they get off their asses and get tix.

Unwound/Codeine/Karate/Chisel @ the Far Out Lounge in Austin, 10/26. Part of the Levitation Fest.

The Gary @ Sahara Lounge on 10/27. Not part of Levitation Fest.

FM Ranxarox’s excellent band Plastique is playing at the Far Out on 11/26. If you live in the Austin area and haven’t seen them, consider checking them out, cuz they’re reeeeaaalllly good.

Dave N. wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:45 am Unwound/Codeine/Karate/Chisel @ the Far Out Lounge in Austin, 10/26. Part of the Levitation Fest.
I have a friend in Kansas City who is going down to Austin just for this, and 1 or 2 other shows at Levitation Fest.
Their lineups always have a few cool bookings, but never enough to get me to go.
I miss Fun Fun Fun Fest.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

Went to the first night of No Coast last night. Missed my pals in Hoaries but made it in time for a band whose name I am forgetting right now, but they were good. Stress Palace (also pals) were great, Djunah was good (not my thing though), Moon Pussy was great, Big'N was also good -- their singer kinda looks like a younger David Allen Coe, and had a genuine menace to him. Going back tonight to catch Kowloon Walled City and others. Should be fun!
Teal Stripe - heavy indie rock
Inverted Candles - antifascist blackmetal
Mirage Music Club - YMO worhip (let us score your indie game)
Service Model - we have Aphex Twin at home

Seeing Unwound tonight at The Factory (why here? seems like way too big of a room for them, but it should be cool, still). Tomorrow I'm going to see Skeleton at Growl in Arlington, then Pelican on Friday at Rubber Gloves in Denton. Another packed week! It's going to be fun, though.
Teal Stripe - heavy indie rock
Inverted Candles - antifascist blackmetal
Mirage Music Club - YMO worhip (let us score your indie game)
Service Model - we have Aphex Twin at home

pachinko-devil wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:35 am Seeing Unwound tonight at The Factory (why here? seems like way too big of a room for them, but it should be cool, still). Tomorrow I'm going to see Skeleton at Growl in Arlington, then Pelican on Friday at Rubber Gloves in Denton. Another packed week! It's going to be fun, though.
What'd ya think of Unwound? This is my third time seeing the reunion shows, interested in impressions.

High on Fire last night were tremendous. At various points I was certain my earplugs had fallen out, but no, they were there. It was just that fucking loud. Pretty sure Pike had no ear protection on which is......a choice.

Have asked Austin friends about the Chisel/Karate/Codeine/Unwound show. Pending their feedback.

Blonde Redhead is playing Sat night. Tempted. Have seen them many times, but haven't kept up with the new recs. I gave up after one of 'em seemed really boring,