Re: Things you just won't sell

Everything has it's price but I really like my 63' Epiphone pathfinder. My Late 80's Early 90's Japanese Jazzmaster was my first real guitar and is so dinged up I cannot imagine anyone would want it. It would be hard to part with. It was stolen once but I recovered it from a Pawn Shop a week later, so I kinda feel like it was meant to be mine. I'll never sell my Morley Echo Volume pedals either and will horde every one of those I find, even though a lot of modern digital things do a similar (but IMO poor) version of the same thing.
Was Japmn.

New OST project: https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/flight-ost
https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/numberwitch
https://boneandbell.com/site/music.html

I had a run pre-2020 of working a bunch of overtime and just buying fucked up $300-$400 vintage amps instead of fixing what I already had, so my heart mostly lies in the stuff I wouldn’t really turn much of a profit on

3 trashed and borken Garnets that had a rough ride south
A really early Super Reverb that had hundreds of dollars of transformers and speakers replaced
1960 Skip Simmons modded Falcon w/ reverb and octal tubes that some hick cut into a head at some point point in the later half of the 20th century before Skip got to it
1950s Rickenbacker 2x10 combo - I posted the schematic once and Dr Balls described it as an early tweed bassman with a bax tonestack. Began life as a 4x10 combo
1970 Guild Starfire with PAF filtertron that is currently shitting its own neck out
Cathedral gray EGC Standard that will never shine again
Mean ass black cat I adopted out of a trash can behind a pizza restaurant
St George Massie w/ a funny 2x10 cabinet mod

man this thread is a full steel-toed kick to the heart-guts

Things I can't sell?
The 60s mustang and champ amp that was my dad's. Getting old enough to wonder who it should be passed off to next.

Things I won't sell? If I'm being perfectly honest with myself I probably won't sell any of it. Not any damn bit of it. And I hate myself for NOT doing it when 95% of it is just sitting there. I'm sure this is a grimly relatable feeling.

I look at a thing and think "oh this does this one special thing I can't get rid of THAT I might need it for that music I'm not creating."

Nate hit on bragging rights which I feel too but for me is just a lust thing turned into latent covetousness and jealous guarding. "my precious my precious." So grody, but occasionally will have a thought, "I should sell this thing" then drag it out, set it up, riff on it for a bit and think "fuck yeah this is awesome I couldn't never get rid of this."

99% of everything I have was acquired through some "amazing" deal...which really adds into the difficult calculus of what should go because almost all of it has increased in value to the point where if I did sell it, I'd never be able to justify buying it back at the market prices...I can look at almost all of Gear Mountain (my name for the beastly pile) and say this.

But honestly the biggest reason is that I simply can't be arsed. And what will happen is that we'll have to move out of this place eventually and then I'll have to literally move a Mountain (again).

I feel exactly and utterly the same way. I ascribed some potential un-concepted album to everything I own when barely anyone cares about music I make, and I'm not recording anyone else (or likely will on into the future). The dawnting task of needing to move it screams at me to let go.

Half of my stuff I packed in overheads on 3-4 flights from Toronto a year. It was always good conversation going through airport security with something that had tubes in it.

I'm at the stage where I don't want to burden my family with having to deal with all of this stuff and selling it for pennies on the dollar if something ever happens to me. My kids are still young, but I'm hoping to get them to the point where they understand the value (not just monetary) of some of this stuff, whether it's the music gear, or the old cars, or the old motorcycles I have. Maybe they'll be interested in some of it and want to keep it. Maybe not. I've been getting better about selling off the stuff I don't use regularly.

My ‘92 Sukop 5-string, which is a beautiful bass that while valuable will never sell for enough to be worth letting go of. It’s also the “potato bass” that all you snobs used to mock me for having/slapping, so if nothing else I’d keep it out of spite.

A white strat-style Peavey (can’t remember the model) that my mom bought me not long before she died, and which I decked out in her memory in the style of her white ‘76 Chevy Nova, including chrome hardware and pickguard with a vintage Nova badge set into it, and red plaid strap that matches the upholstery.

A few rare, super thin Sabian and Zildjian cymbals that sound better than anything I’ve heard from the top shelf of a drum store.

The first Wilson Dual Lotus pedal I got, which led to owning multiple single and dual Lotus pedals. Best overdrive I’ve encountered.

My soul.
Last edited by ChudFusk on Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I frequently think about this. But I’d sell almost every piece of gear I own for its current value. I just don’t need to. And I’ve regretted selling a lot that I couldn’t afford to buy again later.

But, I’d hold onto the following: AVRI Jazzmaster, AVRI Jaguar, one of my early 80s small box Rats, a 1978 Deluxe Memory Man, and a 1966 Princeton Reverb. Also currently in love with my 1979 Marshall 2204. But I’ll probably sell that some day.
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/

I wanna say I wouldn't sell my 1977 P Bass, but honestly if someone wanted to pay $3k for it, I would sell it in a heart beat and build a Warmoth copy of that and another guitar.

Recently, I sold a bunch of stuff that I thought I would never sell. I don't miss those things. I've moved on. They are just things, and I find it hard to remain nostalgic for things.