Are the democrats gonna throw the election by keeping Biden in the hot seat?

Yes
Total votes: 11 (46%)
No
Total votes: 8 (33%)
Don't know
Total votes: 1 (4%)
A definite possibility
Total votes: 4 (17%)
Total votes: 24

Re: Are the democrats gonna throw the election by keeping Biden in the hot seat?

losthighway wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:41 pm
Teacher's Pet wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:15 pm Anti-smoking, my ass. Menthol ban is just a new way to allow harassment of black people by law enforcement.
You can't hassle people for weed anymore, after all.

"After I stopped them, I detected the aroma of Newports."

Fuck that shit.
I don't think that's how a menthol ban would work.
This menthol ban is fucking stupid. Is this really what matters right now in this country? Fuckinghell.

If we as country are gonna ban smoking then let's ban smoking, everything, weed included.

Smoking anything is bad.

One joint a day might not be bad.

A couple/three cigarettes a day probably isn't too bad.

A pack a day, yeah sure it's bad.

I have two gas stations near me, a block away from each other. One can sell menthols, one can't. So stupid.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

Re: Are the democrats gonna throw the election by keeping Biden in the hot seat?

It wasn't so much that I support the menthol ban, because as much as I hate smoke, the poor bastards have already been relegated to the furthest rubbish bin in the middle of winter with a $15 pack, and frankly I feel sorry for them. If there is one advantage of private healthcare, it's the complete freedom to wreck yourself, guilt free.

What struck me about the news was more that they have zero shame about OPENLY rescinding their previous belief in a health care initiative simply to avoid disenfranchising their constituents. Akin to the endless grandstanding about fundraising and how they will literally BUY the election through more than a billion dollars. This they find to be a widely reported source of pride.
Last edited by zorg on Wed May 01, 2024 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

When I was a sophomore in highschool and a junior in smoking I got a cold and followed in the footsteps of my elder peers by purchasing a pack of Newports (not knowing then or until today this is apparently a very African American thing to do). They were indeed a pleasure to smoke and gave rise to a season long painful cough that only subsided when I got off the mint sticks. I haven't read the studies but I wouldn't be surprised to find that somehow menthols make a damaging habit worse.

The specific incrementalism of the policy and the lack of political courage to follow through on it are interesting and almost humorous. It fits neatly into the 'shit Democrats do' meme. But policy is messy, intentions were probably good, and Trump not being president is definitely more important than a controversial, narrow public health win.

zorg wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:26 am It wasn't so much that I support the menthol ban, because as much as I hate smoke, the poor bastards have already been relegated to the furthest rubbish bin in the middle of winter with a $15 pack, and frankly I feel sorry for them. If there is one advantage of private healthcare, it's the complete freedom to wreck yourself, guilt free.
Oh so this is about public healthcare cost is it?
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

losthighway wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:49 am When I was a sophomore in highschool and a junior in smoking I got a cold and followed in the footsteps of my elder peers by purchasing a pack of Newports (not knowing then or until today this is apparently a very African American thing to do). They were indeed a pleasure to smoke and gave rise to a season long painful cough that only subsided when I got off the mint sticks. I haven't read the studies but I wouldn't be surprised to find that somehow menthols make a damaging habit worse.

The specific incrementalism of the policy and the lack of political courage to follow through on it are interesting and almost humorous. It fits neatly into the 'shit Democrats do' meme. But policy is messy, intentions were probably good, and Trump not being president is definitely more important than a controversial, narrow public health win.
I haven't smoked in a long, long time, but I remember craving Newports on occasion. I think there's fiberglass in the filters, but I don't recall them making me feel worse than Marlboros. Both made me feel awful, in retrospect.
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.