FUCK
Total votes: 13 (72%)
SHIT
Total votes: 1 (6%)
OTHER
Total votes: 2 (11%)
Total votes: 18

Re: Curse-word-dome: ass vs. fuck

zorg wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:50 pm I think shit is by far the most versatile. Hot Shit, Shit for Brains, Shit-faced, Shit On, Shit from Shinola, Shitty, Absolute Shit, Dogshit, Bullshit, Horseshit, Shit-can. Some lovely stuff there. Though I do like "Horse's Ass" and "Asshole over Teacup".
At first, was just thinking that I wanted to put "ass" up against "fuck". But I'm open to adding "shit" to the poll too, because sure as shit, I use "shit" plenty.

Added to poll.

For those who have already voted, apologies but you'll need to vote again. I do not wish to revise this poll again, so I have added an "Other" option in case someone thinks there is a colorful metaphor that serves as a better base.

Still voting for "ass".
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

Re: Curse-word-dome: ass vs. fuck

zorg wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:50 pm I think shit is by far the most versatile. Hot Shit, Shit for Brains, Shit-faced, Shit On, Shit from Shinola, Shitty, Absolute Shit, Dogshit, Bullshit, Horseshit, Shit-can. Some lovely stuff there.
Not giving a fuck sounds like screaming and giving the finger, not giving a shit sounds truly irreverent. Going apeshit - love that one. The difference between something being shit and something being the shit. I agree, it's good.
born to give

Re: Colorful metaphor dome: ass vs. fuck

jfv wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:03 pm
DaveA wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:00 pm To say that "The Final Countdown" is "ass" is fine.

But for me, "cheese" is the first word that comes to mind. I guess those could mean the same thing, though.

"Hammy" is another descriptor the song evokes. And you could say this cover of the song is notably "ham-fisted."

So throw in a couple of slices of bread and you've got yourself a sandwich . . . one that sounds less appealing in this context.
Just to be clear, was referring to the general use of the two words in the subject. Was not intending to refer to them within the context of the discussion about "The Final Countdown". Point taken, though.

It's also possible that your post was a joke that sailed way over my dense ass.
I get the gist of the thread. The way it's played out is consistent with your original post. Sometimes what I post here is done in between tasks and isn't always coherent, or is more tangentially related to the topic at hand. With that in mind, to belabor the point . . .

Have since listened to "The Final Countdown" and it's worse than I remembered it being.

In this case, "cheese" is too soft a descriptor. I don't mind some cheese (stuff like "Der Komissar" (either version), or Man Parrish's "Together Again," for example), but this song just plain sucks.

There are matters of taste/personal preference, wherein a margin for waffling is sizable enough. And then there's stuff that's viscerally off-putting. This Europe song is the latter. If this was their big hit, I don't even want to know how bad their B sides must be.

Also, what is it with calling your band "Europe" and churning out such cak? Not all of its cultural exports are great, but even on a ho-hum day, it's safe to say that Europe as a whole has better things to offer than this. This was the case even at the height of butt rock, which this song seems to incorporate along with simplistic eighties synth-anthem bombast.
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .