Re: Top 5 80's Hardcore Bands

A tricky one - hardcore gets this de facto American badge , which ignores all the hardcore happing in Europe, Japan etc etc… ie - it ain’t just a suburban white boy thang…

Anyhow - my top 5 based more on typifying hardcore rather than out put or “career” anything else:

Black flag - crucial up to Damaged - but I weirdly never think of them as a hardcore band

Minor threat - nuff said

Dead Kennedy’s - untouchable up to Plastic surgery disasters

Void - just because- minimal output but genre defining - see the void/faith thread

Die kruezen- for cows and first LP - unfuckwithable

Second tier

Code of honour - just for the split w sick pleasure- righteous lyrics trumped by high quality pick slides

Poison idea- for kings LP and pick yr king ep

Discharge- up to hear nothing…

Gang green - minimal output, but songs on Boston are just crazy

Reagan Youth - new aryans - scrappy and messy and fun!

Bad religion - first LP - before the rot set in, a great set of tunes

rudimentary peni - first eps and death church - not hardcore in the usual sense - elevated far beyond

A lot of the crazy Italian and Japanese stuff is fun but gets old pretty fast
A lot of the “classic” US stuff does not age well - MDC for example
All the DC stuff is pretty good imo, but not crucial…

My $0.02…

Bad Brains: the gold standard. The lightning rod LP of course but also many of the Black Dots versions.
Minor Threat: first 2 eps only
Void: the split and demos, insane and hilarious. Lost interest when they became a 'proper' hard rock/metal band.

and while these bands didn't stay 'hardcore' for long..

Meat Puppets: "In a Car", "Teenagers", some of first LP. Possibly the most unhinged of the bunch.
Husker Du: Land Speed Record. I mean.. the later stuff is better music but they mastered the hard and fast formula pretty early on.
Music

Iancee wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:27 am A tricky one - hardcore gets this de facto American badge , which ignores all the hardcore happing in Europe, Japan etc etc… ie - it ain’t just a suburban white boy thang…

Anyhow - my top 5 based more on typifying hardcore rather than out put or “career” anything else:

Black flag - crucial up to Damaged - but I weirdly never think of them as a hardcore band

Minor threat - nuff said

Dead Kennedy’s - untouchable up to Plastic surgery disasters

Void - just because- minimal output but genre defining - see the void/faith thread

Die kruezen- for cows and first LP - unfuckwithable

Second tier

Code of honour - just for the split w sick pleasure- righteous lyrics trumped by high quality pick slides

Poison idea- for kings LP and pick yr king ep

Discharge- up to hear nothing…

Gang green - minimal output, but songs on Boston are just crazy

Reagan Youth - new aryans - scrappy and messy and fun!

Bad religion - first LP - before the rot set in, a great set of tunes

rudimentary peni - first eps and death church - not hardcore in the usual sense - elevated far beyond

A lot of the crazy Italian and Japanese stuff is fun but gets old pretty fast
A lot of the “classic” US stuff does not age well - MDC for example
All the DC stuff is pretty good imo, but not crucial…

My $0.02…
I'm going to pretend you didn't list Bad Brains by mistake and not by choice.
Sorry for my shitty English

Early Bad Brains (partial to the Black Dots versions, but some essential tracks are not there)

and then, no order:

Die Kreuzen
Negative Approach (they were no Laughing Hyenas, but...)
Minor Threat (they were no Fugazi, but...)

My favorite Black Flag music is no longer hardcore (In My Head, the instrumentals), otherwise I'd vote for them.

I feel like I'd really enjoy the Dead Kennedys if I ever really spent time with their records, but I never did.
Most of what I've played on
Most of what I've worked on