Re: Top 5 80's Hardcore Bands

twelvepoint wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:49 am “Tough guy” hardcore can fuck right off. I got into music to avoid you assholes.
I mostly associate that term with 90's hardcore like Blood For Blood and anything FSU-related (thanks, Boston). But bands like Cro-Mags and SSD had a large hand in its creation.

I remember a lot of the bigger metal shows were all the way in Salisbury Beach, and hardcore scene hostility was likely the reason.
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.

No particular order:
From bands I’d actually call hardcore:
Bad Brains
Black Flag
Minor Threat
Circle Jerks
Fear

If we are including adjacent bands I see thrown around in here my list might include these instead:
Dead Kennedys
Agent Orange
Husker Du
Minutemen
Big Boys

Best single hardcore albums where I can’t vote for the rest either because the rest suck or are no longer hardcore:
Cro-Mags - Age of Quarrel
DRI - Dealing With It
GBH - City Babies Revenge
CH3 - Fear of Life
Angry Samoans - Back From Samoa
Fang - Landshark
Meatmen - We’re the Meatmen and You Suck
Personality Crisis - Creatures for Awile
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/

twelvepoint wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:23 am Most of the above, at various points, although I'm a little more interested in the second-tier stuff these days, to which I'd add

Jerry's Kids
Offenders
Articles of Faith
N.O.T.A.

Always up for the "hardcore-adjacent" stuff too. I think someone mentioned Big Boys and before that punk funk stuff got really bad you also had decent stuff like Beefeater and Rhythm Pigs.
Glad to see N.O.T.A. getting some love. I sort of rediscovered that first LP recently and have been playing it a lot.

mrcancelled wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:38 am
twelvepoint wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:23 am Most of the above, at various points, although I'm a little more interested in the second-tier stuff these days, to which I'd add

Jerry's Kids
Offenders
Articles of Faith
N.O.T.A.

Always up for the "hardcore-adjacent" stuff too. I think someone mentioned Big Boys and before that punk funk stuff got really bad you also had decent stuff like Beefeater and Rhythm Pigs.
Glad to see N.O.T.A. getting some love. I sort of rediscovered that first LP recently and have been playing it a lot.
That s/t LP is so killer. There’s a little d beat thing, the catchiness of oi, they have an anti-cop song, an anti poser song, really nasty sounding guitars, what’s not to love? “Moscow” is such a killer song as well. Not sure if any of those guys continued with bands but it seems like they could have really evolved into some sophisticated songwriting.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com