Electrical Audio Urban Beautification Project

Welcome!

Phase one of the Electrical Audio Urban Beautification Project began last year with the removal of several hundred pounds of broken concrete from the plot of land now being used as our garden. Once that was done, we decided "Enough!" and covered it all up with pretty bark chips.

Last week, Phase Two began as I raked back the wood chips and pulled out a couple hundred more pounds of concrete that I must have decided to ignore last fall and worked in 250 pounds of garden soil with a rake and shovel. Now for the planting!

This took ten minutes, and I took my time. What you can see in the photo is a "Health Kick" tomato plant, a "Better Boy" tomato plant, "Garden Salsa" and habenero pepper plants and Italian parsley. I scattered parsley seeds around the parsley plant in a little circle. Next in line I planted some basil, followed with some catnip and carrots. The basil and catnip are divided by a line of zinnias, because Pip hates having her catnip stepped on. I also bought one of those shaker cans full of various wildflower seeds and spread it around the entire perimeter of the garden. Today, everything got its first dose of Miracle Gro. Good luck, little seeds!

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes for these things to sprout? I'm getting impatient already and I don't like it.

Happy Gardening!
Chad

chad wrote:Welcome!

Phase one of the Electrical Audio Urban Beautification Project began last year with the removal of several hundred pounds of broken concrete from the plot of land now being used as our garden. Once that was done, we decided "Enough!" and covered it all up with pretty bark chips.

Last week, Phase Two began as I raked back the wood chips and pulled out a couple hundred more pounds of concrete that I must have decided to ignore last fall and worked in 250 pounds of garden soil with a rake and shovel. Now for the planting!

This took ten minutes, and I took my time. What you can see in the photo is a "Health Kick" tomato plant, a "Better Boy" tomato plant, "Garden Salsa" and habenero pepper plants and Italian parsley. I scattered parsley seeds around the parsley plant in a little circle. Next in line I planted some basil, followed with some catnip and carrots. The basil and catnip are divided by a line of zinnias, because Pip hates having her catnip stepped on. I also bought one of those shaker cans full of various wildflower seeds and spread it around the entire perimeter of the garden. Today, everything got its first dose of Miracle Gro. Good luck, little seeds!

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes for these things to sprout? I'm getting impatient already and I don't like it.

Happy Gardening!
Chad

Depending on the amount of sun and water, about 3 weeks, give or
take. The carrots should have been planted earlier. They take 2 months
to ripen, and hot weather can make them taste bad.
You're not supposed to use Miracle gro until the plants have sprouted
and are a healthy green. But, fuck it, you want them up out of the ground!!
King of the Punk Rogers.

Thank you fellow gardening enthusiasts.

The carrots have been planted nearest the alley since we really had no hope for them to begin with. If they do grow, they stand a good chance of tasting like bum piss.

I also forgot to mention earlier that the watermelons and sunflowers were excluded from the planting due to concerns of overcrowding and ridiculousness by the property owner.

Andrew and I will have to discuss putting our tomatos in cages. He seems rather adamant about growing free range vegetables on our first try out. I am in favor of giving the tomato plants a jungle gym to play on. An active life is a happy life, and I intend to keep my tomato plants happy, but if Andrew wants to send them to Varmint Hell I may just let him so that he learns a lesson.

Andrew?

Keep posting those tips!
Chad

Intern_8033 wrote: And where can you buy live chickens and do you need a permit or anything?

I know nothing about permits (Permits? We don't need no stinkin' permits!) but I do know there are a few places on the west side you can buy live chickens. I think it's the 5900 block of North Ave, Chicago Ave, and/or Diversey. It is just this side of Oak Park, maybe by a block or two. I am not sure if they are laying chickens or eating chickens, if there is even a difference.

I really hope you guys raise chickens.