My Bloody Valentine?

Crap
Total votes: 11 (11%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 86 (89%)
Total votes: 97

Band: My Bloody Valentine

Josef K wrote:Were you at the roundhouse, Rimbaud?

Yep, I was there, and to a certain extent he's right. The vocals were mixed VERY low, and for a couple of songs it felt as if Shields' mic was actually off! Thing is, if you were stuck at the back, off to one side, all you got was a muddy dirge. I had to walk round to the side and work my way to the front(-ish) in order to actually hear the band to any degree of clarity. I don't think the Roundhouse is a particularly good venue in this respect - the Glenn Branca event was similarly problematic.

As for the stage act - being a short arse I saw very little of it! I never saw MBV in their day, so I can't really comment about them being a little 'stiff' last night (is to be these 'shoegazers'! they look to shoes, no? is schitck?!) but I suppose I see his point, Shields and Butcher did look a *tad* unengaged.

I thoroughly enjoyed it though - right down to the 20 minutes of pure noise at the end.

I was pretty inebriated, so my judgement may not be as sound as folks that were a little less sozzled.

Fuck, I'm sobering up. I may see things differently in an hour or two.
Stockhausen!

cjh wrote:I'll reserve judgement until Manchester next week but there are some favourable reviews too - Roundhouse gig last night on the Drowned In Sound forum.

There is a wonderful quote in there:

ronslunchbox wrote:the holocaust was close to frightening - the closest thing to what one must sound like.

So wish I was seeing them. I would not have been so bothered about indistinct/inaudible vocals.

Ooh, and another quote soon after that one:

Grevaldinho wrote:and I could see the sound guy's digital decibel meter. It read 128.9 dB during the last bit, which is apparently equivalent to a jet taking off, IN YOUR FACE!!!
Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!

reading the drowned in sound comments brought back memories of seeing them years ago. the 15 minute noise blast at the end of you made me realise....i remember my friends and i looking at each other - with our fingers in our ears - wondering what exactly was happening. awesome in the truest sense of the word. enjoy the show(s), everyone.