Band: The Replacements

CRAP
Total votes: 14 (26%)
NOT CRAP
Total votes: 40 (74%)
Total votes: 54

Band: The Replacements Band: The Replacements

Indeed. The first three records are NOT CRAP. Each gets a little better than the last, with Hootenanny being approximately as good as Tim in my estimation. Not as good as Let It Be, though. They do nothing to hurt, and indeed strengthen my opinion of the Replacements being firmly not crap. A band that lasted a decade, and put out only one record (Don't Tell a Soul) I would without a doubt call crap.

zom-zom wrote:Please make it stop already, Minneapolis. The worship of this band has gotten out of control here. Interviews on MPR with people who saw them "back in the day", a "map" of Replacements locations around town, constant Facebook posts with hashtag "maturday" because of the concert here, $150 tickets... It's absolutely insane.. people I have respect for gushing about "our boys" like this lineup featuring two of the Replacements is somehow a "reunion" show, non-stop posts of them on TV. Embarrassing, horrible.The "late Bob show" I saw in 1985 was the greatest performance I've ever seen a rock band give. They were godhead. You cannot fuck with the original version of that band.That said...I saw them again two years later, with the Neighborhoods opening, and they were...still pretty goddamn great, but not the same band.Seeing that clip from the other night, with the guy from the Neighborhoods now in the band playing lead...yeah, I'd be perfectly fine with them breaking up forever.

Please make it stop already, Minneapolis. The worship of this band has gotten out of control here. Interviews on MPR with people who saw them back in the day, a map of Replacements locations around town, constant Facebook posts with hashtag maturday because of the concert here, $150 tickets... It's absolutely insane.. people I have respect for gushing about our boys like this lineup featuring two of the Replacements is somehow a reunion show, non-stop posts of them on TV. Embarrassing, horrible.

Sure I like the Replacements fine. But relative to the other work going on back then, they seemed more like a retro band than what I considered punk at the time. Nonetheless good, though not breaking new ground when plenty of new territory was left to claim. Always a hint of nostalgia with these boys as if they struggled to break away from their influences and develop something signature beyond drunken good hooks - you can't out Ramones the Ramones and no matter how drunk you play, crash and burn like the Germs. Struck me as a band with an identity crisis. Actually see Westerberg fitting in perfectly with a late 70's British power pop band for some reason. Never saw the Mats but, I agree with whomever called them the clown act. Still doubt I will ever come across a painting of the Mats on velvet. nc.phpBB [media] hey they wrote it.