First show you ever went to

My first show was one that my parents took me to: Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson and someone else. Louisville, KY. I would say somewhere in the age range of 10-13. Mom's not answering the phone, so I can't give anymore details.

The first show that I went to see with some friends: Fugazi, 1993, St. Louis. Still the best show I've ever been to.

rb[/i]

First Rock Concert: Ted Nugent and Black Oak Arkansas, Little Rock, AR Barton Coliseum, Aug. 1977. Nugent was boring. BOA rocked that shit.

First "punk rock" show: Black Flag, Saccharine Trust, October Faction, 1984, Mississippi Nights, St. Louis. My friend and I almost left after October Faction. Lucky we didn't as it changed the direction of my life.

The first concert i should have gone to was the Kinks at the Santa Barbara county bowl in 77 but the first one i went to was the Knack at UCSB in 78. ahhh youthful indescresions.

but the first show i went to right after a really boring frat party was COC, Offenders, Marginal Man and the Big Boys at the much
missed Liberty Lunch. hmm which fork in the road to take?? also that week the butthole surfers played a friends porch. austin didn't suck in 84.

my uncle took me to see Oingo Boingo in 1980 where they played at UCLA. I thought it was okay..lots of freaks there.

my first real show I was able to see was at the end of 1983 in L.A. It was 45 Grave, Redd Kross (with Dez Cadena back in the band after a stint with..who were those guys again?) and perhaps the coolest of all, D. Boon playing a acoustic set as punkers threw empty beer cans at him.

It was a good first show!

Don wrote:This post will provide a clue to my age: (not exactly) dragged kicking and screaming to see Kenny Rogers w/Dottie West, Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, Houston Astrodome, 1978. My dad and uncle took binoculars to get a good gander at Ms. West's (now deceased) gorGONzolas. I was too young to drink, too high up in the cheap seats to catch the frisbees Kenny R. threw into the audience from a truck. Thanks, mom!.

First show of my own volition: Kiss without makeup and Queensryche, Corpus Christi Memorial Coliseum, January '85, Animalize tour. Saw Gene emerge from the limo, cool. Kiss's stage motif was a luxury cruise ship, and Paul was wearing his Captain Steubing hat. That is, if memory serves me correctly. Still too young to drink, but I may have gotten a contact buzz.

First alternative rock show: REM, Houston Summit, 1989, Green tour. I headbanged during their opening number, Pop Song '88 (89?), I didn't know what "sensitive," intelligent youth did at these types of concerts. Still a little too young to drink, did not yet smoke cigarettes, no one got high, no free buzz. Sat too far away to see M. Stipe's clown makeup.

First punk show: Soundgarden, opening for Voivod, Numbers, Houston, 1990. I had just become drinking age, so I drank a bottle of Hennessy and vomited on Chris Cornell, ruining an otherwise perfect dismount into the crowd after his flawless floor routine. Voivod's roadies spoke to us before the show, asking us with their Quebecoifs where the cigarettes they can purchased are. Although this counts as my first "brush with fame," I knew that Voivod and their entourage were really asking me and my buds for bunga-bunga, so we kindly pointed to a 7-Eleven and split BIG TIME! Oh yeah, accidentallyyanked up Matt Cameron by the balls, being a kind punk and all.

First real punk show: Mudhoney. I got spat on by punks. PUNKS!

Ah Voivod, I saw that show here...Faith no more, soundgarden and Voivod with fucking Voivod headlining...ah how the times have changed...was a awesome show, though...Voivod were at their peak, I remember they opened with 'Tribal Convictions' and I was in heaven.
Rick Reuben wrote:Marsupialized reminds me of freedom

The Kinks, circa 1981, when "Destroyer" was a hit. [A year later, I'd see The Who on their "Farewell Tour" at the Carrier Dome. As if. . . ]

The Kinks were playing the Onondaga County War Memorial in Syracuse. Most of "Slap Shot" was filmed there. It's an old hockey arena, if you haven't guessed. Capacity is about 9,000.

My friend and I arrived to find our seats displaced by the FOH mixing console. We were then led by an usher to a prime spot, about ten rows from the stage. So far, so good.

The opener was a guy who did a regional hit called "Lonely Nights," Bryan Adams. The crowd grew impatient with him, though in retrospect he had a pretty rocking band with some good Faces-type energy. And yet he became Bryan Adams.

The Kinks blew my mind utterly. They began with "Around the Dial," accompanied by some crude strobe lighting on an otherwise dark stage. I remember thinking they were geezers, pushing forty and all that, which sounds ancient when you're thirteen years old. But they really delivered the goods. Dave Davies in particular was a marvel, coaxing all manner of controlled feedback out of his guitar and generally rousing up the proceedings all night long. And they had a pretty heavy catalogue of hits to draw upon.

I was impressed by the sheer volume of the show (my first ever), and the way the Kinks worked the crowd ["Lola," for example.] Still one of the three best shows I've ever seen.