Mid-Side matrix

Howdy,
I'm interested in building myself a M/S matrix and the electrical version seems to be just what I'm thinking: line level, and works both ways - ms to L&R and L&R to sum and diff.
Is it transformer based (passive) or an active circuit with or without transformers) ? Does anyone else have a good design they'd be willing to share or comment on? I've investigated the Jensen schematics and the Paia circuit I'd just like to see what else is out there.

Thanks,
tim

Mid-Side matrix

Hey sorry for not replying to this. I missed it somehow. Our decoder is made up of low noise op amps. We didn't use any transformers, but we do have balanced input and output drivers. Currently there is no output left/right trim, but I'm planning to do that next.

Mid-Side matrix

which way should the regulator be wired.

I'm not sure what you mean. There are three terminals on those regulators, input (unregulated V), ground reference (tied to Ground), and out/put (regulated V). It is drawn that way because that is the pin orientation of those chips.
is that a 15v per side center tapped transformer?

Yes. When rectified and filtered you have around 20-22 VDC to work with. This circuit doesn't draw much current so there isn't any sag.

Mid-Side matrix

Thanks so much Greg for posting these schematics for us. They're great projects.

A few questions:

Pardon my inexperience with schematics Greg, but what exactly is going on with the symbols that look, to me, like additional pots. I see the 2 "main" Mid and Side 50k pots but what are the 2 10k pots and additional 5 50k pots? Are they internal trimmers? If so, how are they set? I see 4 pots on the front panel of your finished product. That leaves 5 pots unaccounted for.

Also, what kind of diodes should we use to implement your suggestion of attaching some to the regulators? How should they attach?

Finally, where can we get some of those neat metal Electrical Audio symbols to add to the front, giving credit where credit is due?

Thanks Greg.
Dan Maksym
Anthropic Audio
www.AnthropicAudio.com