haha. playing bass and singing at the same time.

that damned fly wrote:anyone here do it? anyone here do it well? any tricks to it?

i suck at it.

did it last time i was in a band where i played bass. do it well? i dunno about that.

i think the trick is to really know your bass part, and be able to play it fairly automatically. and to learn the vocal part well enough that you don't have to struggle to think through it as you're doing it. and then bring the two together.

either that, or just play really fucking simple bass parts, and it's a no-brainer!

a friend of mine once described playing and singing as like trying to do math problems. he wasn't so great at math or something. but that's another good one, if you can play your bass part while reciting multiplication tables, you can play it and sing. well, if you can sing anyways.

that didn't help anything for anybody, did it? frick.
LVP wrote:If, say, 10% of lions tried to kill gazelles, compared with 10% of savannah animals in general, I think that gazelle would be a lousy racist jerk.

that damned fly wrote:anyone here do it? anyone here do it well? any tricks to it?

i suck at it.

I do it on a couple of songs. I don't know about doing it "well," but I usually don't mess up too much. The trick is to play really simple basslines and let the guys on guitar do all the work.
matthew wrote:His Life and his Death gives us LIFE.......supernatural life- which is His own life because he is God and Man. This is all straight Catholicism....no nuttiness or mystical crap here.

Angus Jung wrote:As much of a stain on God's shorts as he no doubt is, Sting is good at playing bass and singing parts that don't match rhythmically with what he is playing. "Spirits In The Material World" for example. A very long time ago, I saw him pull this song off live w/the Police.

...Very good example of vocal/bass syncopation.

Geddy Lee is totally nuts in this depatment too.

As is John Wetton.
David
TRONOGRAPHIC - RUSTY BOX