drums, drumming, drummers: v2.0

I bought this yesterday. It's the best toy ever.

I know it's not ideal but I dont see anyone offering to come soundproof my room so shut your face!

Now. What books/videos should I buy? What was that book everyone was talking about before?

Are there any good drumming websites for beginners? I found one for paradiddles but after that it jumps ahead so far I can't keep up. (I can only read the tab if it's just bass, snare and high hat but gimme a break, I only started reading them a week ago)

peace, love, trampolines

RxTx
simmo wrote:Someone make my carrot and grapefruits smoke. Please.

evanrowe wrote:Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer by Jim Chapin. It'll make your brain hurt, but it's worth it. Teaches your limbs to act independently.

Here are a couple samples.

Have fun!

Thank you!

you say beginner, so i was wondering what you want to achieve? do you want to get real good, or just play?

I don't know yet, I just wanted to give it a try because I'm bored of sucking at guitar.

if its just learn to play then stick on your headphones and play to your favourite records

I did this today. I was playing along to the sex pistols when the vibrations from the kick pedal made my shelves collapse and cds crash down all over the floor.

Bump.

I bought a book called Crash Course Drums that's an 8 week course in playing drums. After one week I'm almost at the end of it and hungry for more.

What are some good bands/albums to play along to?

Can anyone explain to me how to play a reggae beat? I've seen about 5 different ways to play one but it never sounds right to me. Not that I care about reggae but I'm sure it helps to learn everything.

I impressed my friend the other day by putting on Song of the Minerals and playing along to it. He's had a kit for a few months and is still struggling to play anything but 8th notes, I've had mine for 2 weeks and I'm miles ahead of him. Serves him right for being such a good guitar player all these years while I struggled to play even house of the rising bastard sun.

Rotten Tanx wrote:Can anyone explain to me how to play a reggae beat? I've seen about 5 different ways to play one but it never sounds right to me. Not that I care about reggae but I'm sure it helps to learn everything.

I can not, but I will pass along what an old drummer I played with said to me when I asked him the same thing. Listen to reggae, count, and pay attention only to the snare drum and where it falls in each measure over several bars. If you master where the snare should be (something he called the "1-drop" for reasons that still escape me), then you will have mastered the reggae riddim.

He played with a few dub bands (one of which I used to mix regularly, which is just about the MOST fun to be had as a live sound person -- running like seven different delays, patched-in phase shifters, banging on spring reverbs, etc), so I figure he knew what he was talking about.

Good luck.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt